An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Top Tip (for me at least)

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by tstoneami, Oct 13, 2019.

1. tstoneami

tstoneami Member

Longtime heavy daily drinker of hard alcohol here. I stopped two weeks ago. Unlike a lot of people, I don't really notice any physical symptoms. Mine have been more centered around the end of day, which has been the loss of drinking time.

My discovery? I find that the "ritual" of constructing the drink and then drinking it is a big part. Kind of like when you make coffee in the morning. I've started drinking a lot of bubbly water. If I put that in a glass with ice and maybe a lemon or lime wedge, it satisfies a part of the experience that I was not previously aware of.

Your mileage may vary.

Best,
    t
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  2. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

Hi. Longtime hard liquor drinker here as well. Although I didn't mix drinks I drank it straight. Simply because it was faster. I had to get that in me ASAP when I woke up and about every hour tops. At my worst I was drinking Everclear, just that straight, in the middle of the night when I woke up shaky. My alcoholism took hold of me and brought me down at a rate that was rare for even most alcoholics.

So I'm curious what your symptoms are. Not just lack of time spent drinking-what kind of detox symptoms you are experiencing. I am a little over 2 years sober. Going on two clean of dope.
    I can tell you I had horrible symptoms. Dt's are no joke!
    I went inpatient under Casey s Law (thanks sis).
    I meant that by the way I was angry but I am so grateful for her concern and love. So I was not being sarcastic.
    If you've been drinking hard alcohol for a long time and stopped without replacing it with something what are you feeling or did you just taper very slowly?
  3. tstoneami

tstoneami Member

Cold turkey, half a bottle of whiskey a nite for years- no physical withdrawl.
  4. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

What size bottle?
  5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

I very much relate to your discovery. As a part of self-examination, my awareness of behavioral traits, specifically habits, helped me overcome my addictions. Humans are the only animals that are aware of their behavior, as well as the awareness of mortality. However, I can comprehend my habitual behavior, and change it, but here’s the rub, I can’t comprehend mortality.
  6. brianbreaz

brianbreaz Member

I wish I could say I had the same thing when it comes to physical symptoms. But yea you are right... the “ritual” of getting everything set up is part of the addiction. Glad to see you found something to replace it.