New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Total Cold Turkey

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by DTracy3, Jan 14, 2015.

1. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

Anyone ever tried to forcefully get away from an addiction. I heard from people who asked relatives to lock them up in a room for a few weeks to get the drugs out of there system. When hearing about it I have to admit that I wondered how useful this is, since there is no form of therapy. Anyone has experience with this or something similar?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Quitting cold turkey doesn't work for everyone. In fact depending on the addiction level, if you tried to force someone who's been [excessively] using drugs for a long time, complications could ensue . . .

Ever seen someone have a seizure? Some addicts can have that if they don't get their "fix." In any case, since the addict wasn't willing to give up their addiction yet, once they are free from their rooms they can go right back to their drugs because they don't see drugs as a problem to them [yet].

I remember one of my neighbors son's was forcibly checked into rehab. But once he came back, he started drinking even more [to compensate for the days he had to do without alcohol]. He's still an addict today but I think his liver is damaged [because he has edema].
    rainbowguard likes this.
  3. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I heard that alcohol withdrawal can kill you if you are a severe alcoholic (just like some few drugs). Can somebody confirm if this is true or false?

What about people who want to go cold turkey under the watch of professionals? Do they even let the patient take that route? I have always wondered.

In general, I also prefer gradual over cold turkey for the same reason.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's true, rainbowguard, alcohol withdrawal does have the potential to kill you. Your body gets used to the alcohol over time and so can go into shock once it is stopped. This can cause seizures and heart arrhythmias, both of which can be fatal. It is always recommended that you stop drinking under medical supervision. I have included a link which explain this in more detail.

http://www.livescience.com/15300-alcohol-withdrawal-death.html
    rainbowguard likes this.
  5. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

Wow, really shocking to hear that alcohol withdrawal can kill someone. I heard that it's painful, but didn't know that it could get that bad. It's kinda like a really dark irony, drinking kills you and stopping all at once may too...

@Rainman I see how forcibly checking someone into rehab is completely wrong. The first thing for a therapy to work is the willingness to do a therapy.
  6. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Nice, @missbishi. Thank you for sharing the medical side of it.

I know that it is not a common knowledge so I think we need to spread the word that it is actually dangerous for alcoholics to go cold turkey. Majority of drugs don't kill you even if you go cold turkey but alcohol that's seemingly "less dangerous" and legal can kill you. I think people need to be aware of this fact.

As I said, if you want to do something drastic, you have to trust the professionals.
    Drew likes this.
  7. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I think this method id very foolish and dangerous. Addicts should always seek medical help and the help of their church where they can receive support and counsel.
  8. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I had a friend that smoked a lot in his younger years. One day he woke up and decided to go cold turkey. He stopped smoking and from what he told me it was the hardest thing he had done in his life. Years after quitting he still says that when someone smokes near him he gets the feeling like he wants to smoke again. Everyday is a struggle.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

My grandma was a lifetime smoker. She smoked until one day she just quit. She just went cold turkey and she then turned to food as her new addiction. She gained about 75 pounds and it stayed on her for 30 plus years. She went cold turkey but she had another addiction waiting in the wing.
  10. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

My father was a heavy smoker for twenty years and then, right before I was born, he suddenly decided he would go cold turkey and never touch a cigarette again in his life. He lived up to his promise. He was lucky the abrupt withdrawal didn't cause any side effects but I've heard this method could be exceptionally risky and even life-threatening. Anyone attempting to go through with it should proceed with caution.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think quitting cold turkey isn't that effective, because your body won't be able to adjust immediately to the lack of drugs, so your body will crave it more in my opinion. I think lessening the intake bit by bit would be more effective. And now that I have read that quitting cold turkey when it comes to alcoholism can be deadly, then I think it's not a good option to begin with.
  12. Danyell

Danyell Senior Contributor

I totally agree with you. I'm a active heroin addict and my first time detoxing I went cold turkey. Withdrawls were bad, but every time I detox and try to quit the withdrawls get worse. This past go around I started to get seizures. For me, I will not even think about detoxing unless I am in a facility where I can have medication to ease the withdrawls. It is just too painful.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is right that this kind of treatment might not work for everyone but it can really work. It worked for my grandmother. She was a smoker for a long time, smoking more than 5 sticks a day if I could remember that right. But when she decided to quit, she just stop smoking and that was it.
  14. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have a friend who did this but he didn't really ask for anyone to lock him up and he was able to do it just by himself. He functioned normally the entire time as well by still hanging out with us and going out with us even though I knew he was mostly preoccupied with thinking about the substances he was missing while he was having fun with us. Now he is completely clean and I really commend him for his self awareness and willpower.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Interesting idea. Kind of extreme, but I like extreme. Isolation can offer major improvements when someone really wants to change something. It can keep triggers from controlling. I've something like this for certain food addictions that I wanted to change. I would say it works. I think for a time period until they are stronger and fully clean of whatever it is they are addicted to. The isolation in a room I can see because for the most part people trigger something like this more than anything. They say something or act a certain way to push a person towards something like drugs. So this locking in a room makes sense. Obviously they would need some food and water. Bathroom and so forth. This is actually something that is done for many different things. Silence is a really great one too. I think I've done up to something like 4 days without any talking or communications. It's actually quite astonishing what it does for you. Your awareness expands, considerably. You start to really pay attention to detail. Therapy for addiction. Well, to each his own, but I've not seen really anyone benefit from it that much. The people I've talked to just seem to go in some kind of a circle looking for a way to fix themselves. Or they just want to take more prescription drugs and complain about other people to a therapist. This seems empty to me. Drugs to more drugs. Talking about how horrible this is or that is and why they started it in the first place. Isolation could make a Buddha, but therapy and more drugs from what I've seen can make a person insane. So I say isolation and cold turkey. Tough it out.
  16. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

If you trust your will power, you should always go cold turkey. Never plan what you are going to do on day one, day to or day three. Just quit your addiction and then look for the ways that can stop your cravings. If you have the feeling to have it, do somethings that occupies your mind, for instance go for swimming, running etc.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I was actually reading an article just the other day about giving up smoking - and there had been research done that said it was better and more effective to go cold turkey than it was to do the cutting down approach. The reason they gave was that cutting down allows people to still have cigarettes in their possession, and it can be easy to fall straight back into it.
  18. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

I did cold turkey coming off heroin it wasn't easy it did it of my own accord I didn't lock myself in a room but I did move away from the city to the country where it wasn't available to me once I got over the withdrawal symptoms I got into rehab that's where I acquired the tool's to help me keep away from it after rehab I had to join NA and this is my lifeline if I hadn't joined NA I wouldn't have lasted a week without the encouragement and support I'm getting from the fellowship
    hope4usmn likes this.
  19. Rsw

Rsw Member

Yes...it is true! I lost a brother 3 years ago who was sad to say quite a heavy drinker for years. He tried to quit on his own...went into coma and passed away
  20. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

Yes unfortunately it's true that some people can pass away going cold turkey on any substance.I'm so sorry to hear about your brother i know exactly how your feeling I lost a brother due to alcohol as well the sad thing is that he wasn't even an alcoholic just a casual drinker just a tragic accident.in often wonder why it wasn't me that died but such is life.Ironically it was at his grave side 15 year's after his death after I'd finished my second bottle of vodka that I made the decision to quit.I do believe that he is my higher power always there one step ahead guiding me.But going back to your point I definitely believe that some people have to be weaned off alchol it can be a shock to the system so I'd advise professional medical advice I'm certain that if I was to stop now my body wouldn't be able to handle the shock.so definitely the older the body or the weaker the body extreme care and professional advice should be sought. That's just my own opinion xx