An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Total Cold Turkey

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by DTracy3, Jan 14, 2015.

1. FRonquillo35

FRonquillo35 Member

I believe a lot of it comes down to the individual and the substance. Some people can quit smoking or drinking alcohol cold turkey successfully on their own while others can't. Some harder drugs create such a chemical dependency in your body that your body can't handle quitting cold turkey. Whenever you decide to quit, relying on your support system to help you make decisions and support you through the recovery process is often the most successful route.
    deanokat likes this.
  2. 7yr addict

7yr addict Member

Went cold turkey on three occasions....off opiates. It's hell. But each time I came away with tools and strategies. Time number four into sobriety, and I will definitely use every tool available to never use again. Advice?
    deanokat likes this.
  3. Silver Foxx

Silver Foxx Member

What a great response. I agree.
  4. leewriter1

leewriter1 Member

I have firsthand experience with this. I quit cold turkey a month after my wife Amy died because of her long-term abuse of alcohol. I felt great the first day. I attended an AA meeting, got a sponsor, told my story and was really feeling good about my decision to quit. But I couldn't sleep for three straight nights and also started to hear voices. My dad took me to the local ER and the doctor on call administered a drug to counteract the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. That probably saved my life. My mind was messed up that I imagined my dad yelling at the doctor for not treating me soon enough. I thought that meant I must have died. I bolted up on the examination table and repeatedly said "I don't want to die." My good friend, Jim, sat in a chair by the table and said, "Lee, you're not dead." So yes, if you've been abusing alcohol for a long period of time and want to quit cold turkey, do it under the supervision of medical professionals. Delirium tremors or DT's is the common term for the adverse effects of suddenly stopping drinking.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. leewriter1

leewriter1 Member

When I quit cold turkey, I couldn't sleep for three nights and heard voices. My dad took me to the ER and luckily it was in time. The doctor on call gave me a drug to counteract the effects of alcohol withdrawal. The term is "delirium tremors" or maybe it's "delirium tremens" (I think it's the former). You can have visual as well as auditory hallucinations and yes, you can die from it.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

7. True concern

True concern Moderator

I did it cold turkey and yes it was stupid 27 day's of pure insane agony and the detox almost took my life 3 time's.Yes it can be done.Yes it is very stupid
    deanokat likes this.