An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Trading one addiction for another

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by iga, Nov 28, 2015.

1. iga

iga Member

When I was younger I used to imbibe quite a bit of marijuana, but eventually progressed to frequent drinking. As part of my recovery from alcohol I needed something to look forward to after work, as well as something to occupy my time. This led me back to my old habits of toking instead of drinking, but I can't help but feel this is just trading one problem for another. Does anybody feel like this is an intelligent path, or would it just exacerbate the issue in the long run?
  2. SPR012

SPR012 Member

This does sound like trading one addiction for another. However, there are more beneficial/positive habits or "addictions" to develop when trying to quit drugs. Some good habits or addictions to form whilst trying to occupy your free time include exercise, volunteering, or even something as simple as cooking. It is rewarding to know that you are putting your energy and resources into an activity that improves yourself, even if the reward isn't immediate. Patience is a virtue and you can quit. Good luck!
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

You should not replace one addiction from one substance to another, because you clearly know that it won't do you any good. I think the best thing for you to do is to keep yourself busy and occupied, like take up a new sport or hobby like learning how to play an instrrument. etc. so that you won't be tempted to use if you find yourself idle.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not think that replacing a bad habit with another bad habit is a wise idea. Better to replace it with a healthy option like playing sports. You can also try having a new hobby like biking or volunteer on social groups.
  5. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

There is no doubt that you are just replacing on ill for another. The long term usage to excess of either substance can have negative effects. I would free myself from the first substance instead of replacing it.
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

Usually, when people quit one habit, they pick up another. For example, people who quit smoking, usually start eating a lot more. When people ask me these type of questions, I always tell them that meditation and reading are the only things that really helped me quit drugs. I still drink on weekends, though.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My partner is that way. He will quit one thing but quickly replace it with another, rather then seek help for his addictions. It just becomes a vicious circle because it is always something. Whether it be beer or whiskey or weed or whatever. I have no idea what other drugs he uses but I suspect there are others. He gets paid on a Friday and his pay check is gone by Saturday but he never buys anything when I am around. His money is going somewhere but if I ever asked or confronted him he would lie anyway.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Trading one addiction for another can only be a sound strategy if the new substance is less harmful. For example if you a food addiction replaced a drug addiction this would be some progress in the right direction but since being obese will come with complications you'd also soon after have to fight this new addiction.

It's better IMHO to fight an addiction instead of replacing it with another because if it's you want change then you won't be getting any if you replace one addiction for another.
  9. JakeLamotta

JakeLamotta Active Contributor

Yeah if you have to get addicted to something, try getting addicted to good deeds. If you go out to help less fortunate people you will get a tremendous high and it won't effect your health. So get addicted man.
  10. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Not a good approach from my personal experience either. When I was younger like yourself, I used to struggle with cigarette addiction, and I eventually switched to drinking wine thinking that it would help in any way. Needless to say I was really, really wrong and now I regret my decision for I used to be drunk almost every evening. The half-glass full part of the story, is that I didn't become fat, but that's pretty much it.

Now I quit both so I feel relieved.
    deanokat likes this.
  11. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

It's wrong to just swap out between addictions and transfer your habitual behavior from one medium to another, because at the core the problem remains. The best way is to focus on self improvement and self-reflection so that you understand that your issues may be deeper than they appear. Treat the cause of the disease not the symptoms.
  12. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Sounds like there are deeper issues at play that don't have to do with the drugs; seems as though you're in need of something outside of your work that fulfills you and makes you feel whole. You don't have that so you're resorting to drugs.
  13. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Many times we feel the need to have "something" serving as the engine our life requires to get us going, so trading one addiction for another is quite common.

Here the hardest part is making a wise trade so, rather that trade an addiction for an addiction, is necessary develop a sense to find trading addiction for a healthy hobby as being more fruitful.
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I don't think replacing one addiction for another is a good idea. It would just look like a cycle, a really bad one. You get addicted to this substance, then eventually you would want to quit it so you try to find another substance you can get hooked to again. You just have got to focus on recovery if you really want to change your life for the better.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well I don't know how long ago you are talking about but there is something to what you are saying. I think the marijuana then had something in it that would make you so paranoid and off kilter. You had to drink to even out. You are right it is trading one problem for another. This is true. I think its pretty obvious. You don't need either of these things.