An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tramadol Abuse is a Thing?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by HugsNotDrugs, Feb 7, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Tramadol on its own and used as it should be isn't very addictive at all, the problem starts as the last pot as said, when its mixed with other substances. Tramadol can heighten the feeling of other drugs that have been taken so obviously this is where the problem starts...
  2. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

Tramadol can be very addictive, which is a problem to those with an addictive personality. Any substance that can give you a certain element of euphoria can be abused, but Tramadol can be particularly dangerous because it can cause seizures even at low doses.

When you are prescribed Tramadol, your medical professional should clearly explain the dangers of the drug and tell you clearly how to take it. I have heard reports of some people getting so hooked on Tramadol that they are taking in excess of fifty a day, which is so risky.

Tramadol is one of the most abused prescription drugs available, which is why it has been classed as a controlled drug in the U.K.
  3. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I get what you are saying, because once I used to take tramadol for my cramps and apart from my cramps cooling down I never felt anything over this drug, I never even thought that someone couldget high off this drug, but it is amazing, or should I say scary what risks people are wiling to take just to get high or to trip out.
  4. I never knew people were addicted to Tramadol until a few years ago when my Mom started abusing them. I wish people didn't abuse drugs at all, I think the world would be a much better place because people wouldn't fight so much or be so worried about money.
    I think people would be better parents.
    The other day I was sitting in my car, I just got home from grocery shopping. Some of my neighbors were exiting their vehicle so I decided to wait. I overheard a few of them talking about Tramadol very loudly, while their small children were right there with them. It truly made me sad and broke my heart. I thought about calling the cops, but around here, nothing gets done about it.
    My Dad was addicted to all kinds of drugs when I was growing up. I remember as a small child, he would hit me when he was mad.
    If any of you read this and have children, please try to get help for your addiction.
    I'm 26 now and still have a lot of issues from how they raised me.
    There are more important things than drugs or alcohol. Your children can make you feel high when you help them in life. Hobbies help break addiction, but you also need to contact a professional to help you through it.

I wish you all the best.
    Love, Samantha.
  5. I was prescribed this after surgery. I'm allergic to a lot of the stronger meds, so Tramadol is usually the go-to medicine I'm prescribed. I like it because it doesn't have crazy side effects. I never knew that people abuse it. I always was told by my doctor that it's basically super strong Advil (I know that isn't an accurate description, that's just how he described it). But I'm not really surprised. Of course people risk seizures and other side effects for a high...that's essentially what drug addiction is, isn't it? Going after a high even when the risks are there? I mean, people can have serious side effects from other drugs...heart problems, seizures, etc. but they still risk them.