An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

tramadol?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Waynefire, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

I have taken Tramadol in the past as a prescription medication. I did not abuse it and was able to stop using it, but I am curious how many people abuse this medication. The amount of relief or high it gives you is not that high, but it does give you a little bit of one, which may make it abusable.
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Tramadol can definitely be misused, it has opiates in it which originate from Opium poppies, as does Heroin. It can definitely give you quite an intense high if you take a high enough dosage of it. I, myself, have taken Tramadol on one or two occasions and have had quite a strong high from it and not at a high dosage either, although I didn't take it for the high. My brother had ongoing problems after a nasty accident and was prescribed Tramadol for many years. He did get addicted but eventually managed to get off it. He can take it or leave it either way now.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've taken Tramadol too and whilst I didn't feel any kind of "high", it definitely knocked me out and put me to sleep. It was easy to see how people become dependent on this medication. It is very commonly prescribed here in the UK, more so than other opiates and abuse is commonplace.
  4. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I've seen it used amongst amateur opiate users to get high. I've also seen it used amongst addicts to help put a dent in their withdrawal symptoms when their opiate of choice isn't available. I tried abusing it way back when and personally, I don't see what the hype is about.