An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Treating A Hangover

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by 6up, Aug 20, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

How do you treat a hangover? There are those who who opt to go back drinking so that the hangover may disappear and others completely avoid extra alcohol. What about you?
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I worry about that concept of "treating" a hangover like its a normal thing to get so drunk that it's a normal occurrence - especially as someone who has recovered I don't really want to be condoning or encouraging tips for treating hangovers. I would say it is better to avoid them in the first place!
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Alcohol depletes your body of alcohol and water. So go and get as much water as you can and re-hydrate. After that go get eat something with a lot of sugar in it, like ice cream or chocolate. If you hangover is really severe, then take some pain relievers to ease the pain or headache.
    L_B likes this.
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

My husband treats his hangover with sleep and coffee. Just these two things. Usually, after a night of drinking, the day after he would sleep the whole day. If he does wake up, it is only to drink coffee. Later that afternoon, he is fine again and sober. Lol.

My cousin treats his hangover differently. He drinks coconut water. And he says that this is the miracle cure for hangovers as it can instantly heal it.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

After a night of drinking have a glass of water before you go to bed along with two aspirin. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of water the following day. My best advice though would be never allow yourself so much to drink the night before that you have an hangover. A few drinks won't give you a hangover but over consumption will. Best to just avoid putting yourself in that situation.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have only had a serious hangover a handful of times in my life and I treated it by drinking a lot of water. I have heard that taking vitamin C also works.
  7. elbowstain

elbowstain Member

My friend and I have this plan where we buy a 4 liter orange juice and share that. We start drinking it as soon as we get home from a night out (we drink about a liter each). Then we sleep, and another liter in the morning.

Also, another method, just a lot of greasy food. Fried eggs, fried tomato, fried onion. Just fry everything, works for me.
  8. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

I have heard that hangovers suck, so I try not to get too drunk when I am out, but I heard eating helps!
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Well I think for me it is resting as when you have too much to drink you feel drowsy and sleepy and just want to sleep the next day, and need to drink cold water or have some food which will fill you up for the morning. I think drinking some raspberry or orange juice, can be good and can relax the stomach and hopefully you don't throw up from the previous night as that can be messy. I think everyone has a different way of coping with a hangover and should do it the way they feel, the most comfortable as it could help them out with the feeling of discomfort in the body.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not experienced being drunk but I have seen some being given a hot coffee for their hangover. It is black coffee and of course sleep. Some take pain medicines for their headache.
  11. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

For me, drinking a lot of water has helped with my hangovers tremendously. I know that there are certain foods that can help cure a hangover, but I think everyone's mileage may vary. Eggs work wonders for me when I eat it during a hangover. Some people eat fruits, but it really just depend on what works best for you since everyone is different. Do not worry, hangovers go away so you will get through it!
  12. elbowstain

elbowstain Member

I was talking to a friend about hangovers and he said he actually doesn't really drink much alcohol because of how bad he suffers from it in the morning. Some people are lucky and they just have a glass of water and are fine for the rest of the day(I'm one of the lucky ones). But you get some people that can't function for 80% of the next day.. I pity the fools
  13. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Just chug a bunch of water the night before and basically all day the next, back in my younger years I would always smoke pot to cure it but thats a whole other bucket of worms.
  14. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

During my drinking days I suffered from some pretty nasty hangovers. They were so bad, that at times I thought I might not make it through the day. It often took me up to three days to start feeling "normal" again. By that time I was ready to do it all again. I usually found relief by drinking copious amounts of mineral water and consuming citrus fruit. Sleeping a lot was also necessary in order to get rid of those terrible headaches that I used to get.
    Every time you have a hangover think about the damage you do to your body, your mind. You lose days...
  15. henry

henry Community Champion

This is what I do to avoid hangovers. after I stop drinking for the night, I eat something. After eating, I drink some Alka Seltzer and go to bed. If I get a bit of a headache the next day, I just take a couple of pain killers. That usually does the trick. Going to bed on an empty stomach means a garanteed hangover. I know some people avoid this for fear of puking, but I don't have that problem.