An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Treating Yourself

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rosyrain, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

One of the things that people in recovery have to find is new ways to treat themselves. An alcoholic may have looked forward to the cold beer after work, and so forth. I have really started to enjoy good healthy food and now have a little more money to spend on it. What do you do to treat yourself or look forward to?
    stariie likes this.
  2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

It's tough to feel you are treating yourself when you are eating a stalk of broccoli. :confused:

But I understand, it's better to replace an unhealthy habit with a healthy one. I think a great way to treat yourself is enjoy some uplifting pump-you-up music after work. It helps to keep you active, puts you in a great mind space, & gives you a sense of freedom.
    Rosyrain and stariie like this.
  3. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Well, unless that broccoli is smothered in some kind of creamy, rich, cheese sauce:).

I, too, like the music idea. I think that many people underestimate the power music has to calm, soothe and elevate one's thoughts.
  4. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I treat myself to foods that taste good, although they might not be entirely healthy. For me, sometimes a treat has to be just that, a treat. I like eating healthy, but I have a lot of work to do in that department.

I totally agree with you, and think that it is absolutely necessary to replace a bad habit with a good habit. Although some of my food treats might not be the healthiest things in the world, they are a lot better than some of the things that I used to "treat" myself with.
    Zyni likes this.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I treat myself with anything really. I find that it's good to spend a bit more for food or other small things in life like gadgets since by doing so you are giving yourself your own perceived value. I don't do anything specific, but I just try and splurge from time to time within reason.
  6. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

It is a good idea to treat yourself to a little fun with family, a little dessert or a nice dinner. Anything that is of course healthy and makes you feel good. If you have been working hard on your recovery, you deserve that.
  7. Plus

Plus Member

Mmm. Delicious.

Music has helped me through a lot of hard times, I love listening to instrumentals to wind down with. Also spoken word poetry has a huge impact on me.

With more time and money due to the lack of addiction I tend to treat myself with some video game time or learning to cook dishes. I find it really relaxing to do both, but those are just my personal hobbies.
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I have known some people that look forward to getting off of work and laying on the couch and watching TV. I've also heard of some people looking forward to exercising whenever they are off work to treat themselves to something. It depends on what your personality is. Treating yourself does not always mean treating yourself to food.
  9. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

This is a good one. I still get urges like none other sometimes and I've been clean for almost seven years. When I get the craving, I make myself pay my green piggy bank 10 dollars & do not check it for three to six months.

When I do get to empty it I am always amazed in how much I actually saved. It is quite nice to have some extra loot to go shopping with. :)

So treat yourself to whatever positive thing you like the most and stick to it.
  10. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

I like to treat myself to new clothes. They always make me feel better about myself, take my mind off other things, and give me a little boost and good feeling about myself. It also helps me kind of reinvent myself or keep evolving. When I get in a rut or get really down on myself a new top can pep me up and help me feel better about myself.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I treat myself to a good massage. 2 hours of relaxation and bliss. It's way better than any 2 hour buzz from alcohol, that's for sure. All this time I've been blowing my money on alcohol when I could of been having deep tissue massages.
    Zyni, PrideKidd and Rosyrain like this.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe try to have a full body massage to feel relaxed and refreshed. :D
    There are other ways to treat yourself or spend some money better. Like going out with family and friends and see a movie together or have a picnic.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I treat myself to the cinemas. Movies have been my therapy now. Sometimes, when I have a few money to splurge on, I go to the local bookstore and purchase novels. They have always been my guilty pleasure.
  14. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I treat myself with loong hot baths after a stressful day. I love to put on some music and zone out while I soak.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am going to have to try the massage thing, along with maybe a nice new hair cut and getting my nails done. Whatever makes you happy and makes you feel good about yourself.
  16. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

Yup, you said it. A good make over is good for anyone it boosts your self esteem and confidence. Change your hair..Get new clothes, go for dinner and a movie or whatever it is you do to treat yourself. Nny little thing that can make you feel more positive it always good, as long as it is legal and safe. And yes Guys do get makeovers the just do it in secret. lol. :)
  17. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Does anyone else equate this question with Community:

Best on going segment ever.
  18. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

A real treat for me is when I can have some free time for myself in the evening and take a long bath.
  19. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I think anything (that isn't part of the addiction) can be a treat, as long as it's something you enjoy. I try to look for things that also work as an "active distraction" like buying myself a new video game, which keeps my hands busy and my mind occupied. It's fun, it's interactive, and it's a nice way to wind down for an hour or two.
    PrideKidd likes this.
  20. juno

juno Community Champion

With an addictive personality it is important to be careful when it comes to treating yourself with food. I personally love chocolate and deserts, but I don't want start dealing with a weight problem either. I also like to treat myself to a fun time with friends, like movies and other activities without substances.
    Zyni likes this.