An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Treating Yourself?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rosyrain, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Whether you smoked, drank alcohol, or did an another drug, did you ever treat yourself once you kicked the habit for good? I recently quit smoking and was thinking of treating myself to a new outfit with the money I have saved, or perhaps even a nice dinner in celebration. What have you done to treat yourself in celebration of your sobrity?
    muthoni likes this.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I can't really share my first-hand experience but based on a relative's experience. He simply switched allegiance from drugs to alcohol. He's not a hardcore alcoholic but you often see him drinking with friends or smoking an occasional cigarette. Sometimes, he plays WOW in his PC. I guess those are my uncle's methods of coping up with the loss of the substance that used to get him high.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I did treat myself everytime I kicked a bad habit just because I wanted to feel that I was not short hanging myself too much by giving up on indulgence. The biggest thing I look out for whenever I do this, however, is that I don't celebrate too early. I try and reach a point wherein I can be sure that I can be confident that I am already past my old I ways and to celebrate I usually find some way to mark the occasion.
    stariie likes this.
  4. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

That sounds like an excellent idea treating yourself and basically appreciating the hard work you have put in throughout the quitting process.
    I always find that doing something nice for yourself is another way of encouraging yourself and of course giving yourself a pat on the back. I treat myself all the time when I see that I am following the changes I have implemented in my life. I usually buy myself something I've always wanted, go out to a nice place where I get to doll up and have nice food.
    Go ahead and do that!
  5. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

First let me congratulate you because quitting smoking is not a small task. You deserve to treat yourself like a queen for the day. Yes once in a while I treat myself to a nice meal because I love to eat a lot. I get my nails done and get a pair of shoes that I have been saving for. With getting older, I have realized that we need to treat ourselves the best before we treat others.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Sounds like a good way of rewarding yourself for good work done. I have never bought a treat for myself because I'm still struggling to overcome a crippling addiction. Maybe getting myself rewards every week I don't touch the stuff can help get me the impetus I need to keep me going.
  7. Rosyrain

Rainman- you should try giving yourself a treat each week that you do not give into the temptation. It can be a real motivating way to move forward and give you something to look forward to. I find that I like to have things to look forward to in life and that gets me through each day. If I can go treat myself at the end of the week, I get excited about it.
    Rainman likes this.
  8. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I think it's a good idea to treat yourself after giving up an addiction, because in a warped way, many times we used to think the addiction was a "treat," that is, until the addiction became a real problem.

I've given up a couple (few) bad habits, but I don't really recall treating myself. For me, I think it's important to make sure that there is a healthy substitute put in the place of a bad habit, at least for a time. Like instead of smoking, chewing gum, or eating mints.
  9. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I have never been addicted but I've been stressed out which can be quite crippling and once I drag myself out I would look for a way to celebrate. I say celebrate and treat yourself to that outfit or dinner or both. Whatever you can afford with your savings.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I'll give it a try and see how it goes. So far I've clocked 12 hours without a "fix" which though not great is a good start. I'll wait one week, get myself a treat and keep doing it weekly until the addiction is a thing of the past.
  11. Rosyrain

12 hours is an excellent start, you just have to take it all one hour at a time. Perhaps give yourself a small treat each hour that you go without getting a fix. I had a friend who was on a diet a couple of years ago and each time she made her goal at work (her work goals, not dieting goals) she would give herself a small square of Dove chocolate. I found it to be counterproductive at first, but she actually did lose weight because she had the chocolate pieces to look forward to, and did not overeat. It is a different story with addictions, but sometimes you have to give yourself positive reinforcements for doing a good job.