An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Treatment Horror Story

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by Mockingbird, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Member

I have a friend that several people have tried to get into some sort of treatment or counseling, the situation is pretty bad. I don't think that my friend would do this on his own unless he was in a very low point, but some of his family members decided that maybe he could be coaxed if the condition was right and not so much like an intervention. So they sought out this woman that was a mental health nurse or something along that lines who took it upon herself to do some background checking- all under the cloud of person in need I guess. One of the things that she did was to approach an instructor of one of the classes my friend attends and then to actually enroll to see how he was managing.

At some point she decided to go head on and approached him in front of many of his class mates, she was far from discreet. Well things did not go well and he went off on everyone around him like a bomb. On one hand I do not blame him, I can just imagine he feels very embarrassed. Is what happened even considered desirable? Is full blown intervention the only way to get someone the help they need?
  2. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think that was the wrong approach to take if his family wanted to help him.Enlisting the services of the mental health nurse was a mistake as she was not the best person suited for the job.Confronting your friend in front of his classmates was not only embarrassing but less likely to achieve the intended purpose.
  3. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

If this was an approach to help someone in need, I have never heard of such. I personally think embarrassing someone especially a struggling addict is not a good idea. I mean, even a person in his right frame of mind would not like someone just intervening in his personal affairs. So I don't think it is desirable. Obviously it did not please your friend.

It also broke his trust on his family, don't you think? I hope he finds it back somehow. I hope he'll realize his family did it for his own welfare. If he trusts you, maybe you can help in making him understand and realize that? But maybe, he should be left on his own first as it was not an agreeable situation for him. Bear in mind though that it is still his decision, his choice.
  4. stariie

stariie Community Champion

This woman actually enrolled in one of his classes? What kind of class, like at a university? Surely you don't mean that. I can't even imagine something like that. Well, no matter what kind of class it was, some things are private, and confronting someone in front of classmates is not a fair thing to do. Just because a person has an addiction doesn't mean they don't have feelings, or rights.
    MrsJones likes this.
  5. Sonjapunk

Sonjapunk Member

That woman had no right to do that. I don't know what kind of thing he may have done, but surely, it was no reason for her to approach him in that way. Have you tried speaking to the family? Perhaps you need to get them to understand that she might not be the right person to take care of him. Specially if it is someone who she knows could have an extreme reaction.
  6. mimsee

mimsee Active Contributor

Honestly that woman should've known better. Struggling with addiction is terrible as it is but adding onto that the fact that now all of his classmates know will make his life so much more stressful. Sometimes people with addiction just can't face people when they know about their addiction; I was that way. I hope that he is able to continue with his schooling with minimal stress involved...
    stariie likes this.
  7. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Sounds like it was a very bad option. Besides, the issue was addiction and not mental health. This was a mess.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Wow, that woman really managed to do quite a bit of damage. It will take a while for your friend to gain confidence and trust again in anyone who is trying to help him. I can't imagine anything worse, but to approach a person about a personal problem in front of others, be they family, friends, colleagues or fellow students.
    stariie likes this.
  9. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

I completely disagree with this woman's approach! Embarrassing someone is never the answer! In fact, sometimes it can cause the situation to get worse. Now that everyone around him knows about his problem, his life will only become more difficult than it already is.
    stariie likes this.
  10. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

Wow, what a crazy situation. I can only imagine that his family must have felt pretty desperate to resort to this type of tactic. I am sure the supposed nurse was felt that she was doing a good thing but her approach was simply terrible. I am surprised a nurse in the mental health field would even agree to such a setup. I hope your friend can move on from this and won't be turned off by the idea of getting help in the future.
  11. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

Wrong move. Rather then help she may have caused more of a problem. When dealing with this type of problem, you have to approach it delinquently. You should seek a professional for this not an amateur. She may have just damaged things for you to help him.
  12. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

No, not desirable at all. But, I would have to agree with that nurse's approach. She took him out of his comfort zone, no matter how she did it. But we all need a slap from reality from time to time.
  13. bourge_21

The toll, however, was that it was very aggressive. Should the nurse have slowed down, things would have been better. At this rate, there was more of reproach than encouraging the troubled fellow.
  14. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Yes, I agree it was a wrong approach. My question, did the family really know what her intentions were before she acted. Surely, they would have disagreed with it. And if the family didn't know, did he suspect them to be behind all of this. Sometimes desperate people do desperate things, maybe this is one of those times.
  15. bourge_21

Buddy, I thought the author said that some of the family members arranged it. Well, the nurse must have been paid too. The problem was that the story was a bit weird.
    stariie likes this.
  16. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I think that if the place where detox is being held is not reliable, better look for something else, it's just something too serious to be handled like this.
  17. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

That's very unfortunate that it ended up that way...it's sad because going about things the wrong way like that can really turn people off to getting help. Very sad indeed. I don't know if full blown intervention is the only way to go, but I definitely think there are plenty of ways that should not be tried and that is one of them.
    stariie likes this.
  18. stariie

The whole thing sounds crazy to me, who joins someone's class so that they can talk to them about
    their addictiono_O? And then on top of that, who discusses something as personal as addiction in a room full of other people? This just floors me.
  19. stariie

You agree with this?? You agree with the nurse actually enrolling in one of the classes, pretending to be a fellow classmate, and then in front of the class called the guy out about his drug use? He could have called her out for stalking.
  20. stariie

Very weird. Who enrolls in someone's class and basically stalks them? A stalker, yes. A mental health nurse, no.