An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Treatment Horror Story

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by Mockingbird, Dec 1, 2014.

1. ally79

ally79 Member

The family and possibly your friend needs to report this nurse if he is able to. She can lose her license for behavior like this, and no it was not an acceptable approach at all.
  2. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Exactly. She must be paid though. She must have been compelled to do such erratic actions.
    stariie likes this.
  3. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Yes, it seems as if she had to have been paid to do this, but in the original post it said that the nurse took it upon herself to do certain things.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I'm all for intervention but only during the pre-rehab stage, when there's still a need to convince the person to turn his life around. During the rehab proper, I find it unnecessary to hire the services of an alien woman with indiscreet motives. That "mental health nurse" doesn't know a thing about psychology. Why else would she use a distasteful approach?
  5. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

There are times when there is really no other option than to involuntarily check someone into rehab for their own wellbeing and personal safety - but mostly I think that the person should be as involved with the decisions about their treatment as possible to give them a sense of control.
  6. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

A trained person should not have done that. Embarrassing your friend will push him away from obtaining help. Two trained people should have found a better method of talking to your friend. Are you in a position to a have a heart to heart with your friend? Maybe your friend will agree to obtain help if they know you are there to support them.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think that was the wrong way to go about it. I'd even venture a guess that his family' sways of being sneaky are probably some of the things that drive him to addiction in the first place. Whoever this "professional" is should quit her job, I don't think she knows what she is doing.
  8. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Member

Well let me clarify this, she confronted him prior to the class starting, there seems there is a small alcove where people gather before they can go in. I was told he had seen her before and actually engaged in conversation, just small talk about the course. It is a community course not like a university offered class but one offered at the High school. the thing was there were other people in that area including the course instructor. All well within ear shot of each others conversation.

This is what he told me, he came in and said hello to everyone standing there, there were about 5 people. The woman was leaning against the wall and came up and called him by name, he turned and she said that 'You know I am a friend of your friend J. I wanted to talk to you about your problem, there are things I can do for you, I specialize in things like "his addiction" he asked who she said was she was a friend of ?and she didn't say again, She seemed agitated he asked that and she started asking if he had any medical problems at which point he said he felt like people were staring and listening. he said it felt weird and uncomfortable so he turned to walk away and said jokingly "I guess we all have problems." He went into class, she did not. He said later he asked the instructor about this woman and she acted like she had no idea although they all sign in each class. The woman never came back, to that class. About a week later he overheard a classmate that was there that day and a friend to the instructor say something about this woman and that she had said someone was very sick. the other person said with what? and this girl said I don't know maybe something serious.

He also told me- this woman and a man were outside his doctors office when he went for an appointment about a month later. He went to the appointment and the doctor gave him some form about depression. he filled it out and gave it to the doctor when he came in who then asked him if he was under mental health care, which he said no. Which he was not. He told me that in the hall he heard the doctor say "do they want to come in and talk to him" and the nurse said "no they took the form and left." the doctor said "if they want anything else tell them they need a court order." My friend said was positive it was the same woman.

Now my friend does have a friend named "J", he confronted that person about this incident and was told that was a psychiatric nurse from the mental health place. In fact "J" gave the persons full name, furthermore my friend was told that they did indeed speak about him and that it was felt he could use some help with his issues.

Here is the thing, when a person has a serious addiction or mental health issue and they are not under a doctors care for it, it can be very hard to force them to get help. Even if they really need it. You can try an intervention and I do think this is what "J" had hoped but like they say there is a side to every story. "J" might have embellished somewhat to get something to happen.

Regardless, to enroll in a public class to observe is one thing, to approach to discuss in front of others is another. At the very least she should have said something like -hey can I speak to you in private for a moment? the doctors office has to keep confidentiality but a course instructor does not. I don't doubt they were asked if his behavior had been odd, if he seemed depressed etc. It didn't help, if anything it caused more problems and yes it really happened.

Personally I don't think it was professional at all, this woman might have felt she was trying to help someone who might be ready to commit suicide or something, maybe she thought he was deeply depressed, but that's not the way you do it. Now my friend don't trust anyone. I am not certain there is anything he can do legally.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  9. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

This is a sad event sounds as if there was a miscommunication somewhere. I would hope that this type of thing doesn't happen often terrible situation.
  10. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

What a horrible way to approach someone, that was very embarassing and humiliating, she probably made his situation worse, maybe even pushed him to now abuse more than he was before, she probably has made him loose confidence in people, I do hope that he can find it in himself to be able to confide in anyone about his problem and be able to get the right help.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

What an unprofessional thing to do. Doing this will surely have caused more harm than good and I bet this guys relationship with his family is beyond repair now.

What happened to this guy's right to confidentiality? Now everyone on campus will know about his problems - this is just going to make things ten times worse for him.
  12. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

This woman is a mental health nurse and she did something like that?! Whatever happened to a patients right to privacy. Granted he wasn't technically a patient of hers but she should know better than to try and shame him in public over something like that. Honestly, I'm wondering if she could lose her licensure over doing something like that, even if it was "off the clock". I would certainly never visit the hospital or practice that she worked for, because who is to say she isn't sharing and blabbing patients personal records to others for whatever reasons.

Not to mention, the guy was in class actually attempting to learn something, not out on the streets getting his next fix, so not only was she overstepping to begin with, she's interrupting his education that he is paying for, as well as the other students in the class, to pull her shenanigans. The instructor should have had her removed from the building.