An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Trembling hands?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by jeremy2, Oct 30, 2014.

1. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I have noticed that most alcoholics can't get hold of anything without trembling and this is especially so early in the morning after they have woken up. My cousin Anthony suffers from this strange ailment and he neither has a good explanation as to what causes this. But after consuming a tot of his most precious brandy, things get back to normal and the trembling stops. Can anyone shed an expert opinion on this peculiar phenomenon?
  2. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

So is your cousin an alcoholic? And you think the tremor is caused by his condition? How severe is his tremor?

I am no expert but I've done a little research on this as I also have this problem. But I don't drink alcohol. My tremor is not very severe but noticeable enough by people around me. I think mine is the cause of getting exposed to the heat while cooking then washing my hands right after. I also thought before and confirmed just now through research that coffee, sometimes anxiety at work, agitation with some colleagues, excitement (in other words, emotional reaction) and exhaustion cause my tremors.

In alcoholics, so far from what I personally know and read, those who are trying to withdraw from it has tremors as one of the symptoms, like my uncle had. There's also an issue of it as being hereditary.

If it is just mild tremor then it may not be treated at all. Interestingly enough, I read that alcohol reduces the tremor. But caution was made in taking the right amount to avoid problems with alcohol.

For more info, please see this linkhttp://www.patient.co.uk/health/Essential-Tremor.htm
  3. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

These shakes can be caused by a number of things and if it has been happening for sometime it could be the start of Parkinsons disease. If he only gets the shakes until he has a drink then it means that he is having too much of the ale that he loves and it is time to call it a day with the alcohol. Perhaps he needs some help
  4. It is a truly sad predicament. I would say that the tremors are the scars of a life that was under alcohol addiction. In time, perhaps due to the withdrawal effects, the body will be able to heal itself and 'correct' some of the internal damage caused during the drinking spell.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I know many alcoholics and others who'd quit drinking who have the same problem. I think it's an acquired condition which is not treatable. Of course you say, after drinking a little the condition disappears on its own but that shouldn't be a solution, even a temporal one.

The explanation for the shaking is that nerve cells in the hands/arms are damaged. It can't be reversed. But I've heard that there are some pills which can help a little with that.
  6. Survivor21

Survivor21 Member

Although I don't drink, I do suffer from trembling hands as well. However, I think it's because I'm a heavy smoker. On the other hand, the tremors started -before- I started smoking though, so I'm not entirely sure what's the cause of the problem. My father used to drink a lot and he did suffer from tremors too.
  7. notodrugs

Hi Survivor21. I read it can be hereditary. So maybe you got it from your dad. But in my case, I have not known of any one from my family that has it. But I do remember that my emotions make me shaky. I remember the first time I noticed it was when I had to host an event in my workplace, my hands could not stop trembling.

Do you remember the first time you had it? Try to recall the circumstances when it happened. Maybe that can help you know the cause.
  8. Survivor21

Survivor21 Member

Thanks for your reply. As far as I can recall, I never heard my father mention any episodes of trembling in his childhood. But you could be right. The first time I had it was when I was a teenager. That was a rough period in my life though, and I suspect it might have been a case of the nerves.

Um, now that I think of it, one of my aunts from my father's side did have a similar problem, so it could be hereditary. Do you remember where you read this?
  9. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I wonder if it has anything to do with sleep deprivation because I used to get the shakes after a long night of doing cocaine and not sleeping, not so much from alcohol. However I've read that when you go to sleep drunk, you never really get into a deep sleep cycle, so you aren't getting replenished as much as you need to.
  10. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke: Alcoholism, excessive alcohol consumption, or alcohol withdrawal can kill certain nerve cells, resulting in tremor, especially in the hand.
    Click here to read their Tremor Fact Sheet.
  11. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Thanks for the feedback i really appreciated it. I'll check out those sites you recommended and hopefully it will shed some light on what's ailing my cousin. Thank you once again.
  12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I was watching the show called "Bar Rescue" and there was one person who was a bartender who had alcohol withdrawal syndrome. His hands were shaking and he could barely pour a drink. The good thing was that he was able to get some help going through rehab.
    Jen S. likes this.
  13. notodrugs

Hi Survivor21. Yes, I've just read it recently as a condition that can be hereditary from this linkhttp://www.patient.co.uk/health/Essential-Tremor.htm. It seems to me that there are different kinds of tremors. The hereditary one is grouped under the essential tremor.

Here is another link that can give you more information about it http://www.webmd.com/brain/essential-tremor-basics#1 It looks like your suspicion about it being a nerve issue has basis. It says that it first occurs in adolescence (which is true in your case) or in middle age (40ish to 50). Anyway, read further about the other symptoms to help you identify if you really have this kind. Also, it will be more helpful if you could ask your aunt who has it to know if she has dealt with the other symptoms.

And if it affects your daily activities then consulting a doctor is much better I supposed.
  14. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

The shakes can be managed by exercising your arms and hands with a squash ball every day. It will help the muscles get stronger and it doesn't stop completely but it makes the shakes ease a little. Anothr way to get them to halt is to eat heslthy foods and to drink lots of water as well as getting enough sleep. Some people continue to have the shakes forever and others can get rid of them easily once they have been sober for a while.
  15. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

When I read this reply I just thought about a stress ball. I guess working out the hands is a good idea for the shakes. Just doing the basic things like drinking water is worth it.
  16. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I have always wondered about that too, it is strange, that right after they consume alcohol , they resume to normal, no more shakes, that has me wondering all the time.
  17. jackslivi

jackslivi Active Contributor

Have you noticed that smokers are like this too? Once they get that cigarette they are just fine. Diabetic people are the same way. Now I'm not trying to compare healthy to unhealthy here. It really seems to be the need of something. I am not an expert here but I just put them together. Diabetics shake because they have low blood sugar and they are in need of the sugars. It kind of sounds the same for alcoholics and smokers. They need that drug. Their body craves it so it starts to make them shake. That is my input and thought on it so don't quote me. I just have noticed this more by being around these kinds of people.
  18. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I suffer from trembling hands after I have worked too much and exhausted myself. So, as it has already been mentioned by several other posters, obviously nerves are involved when you can't keep your hands still. I think it's self-explanatory that an alcoholic would get "the shakes" as his/ her entire nervous system is being challenged with all the excessive alcohol consumption.
  19. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Trembling is associated with a lot of substance withdrawal. I did not experience it from withdrawal but I did experience it when I started taking SSRIs and my body was adjusting to the chemical in my blood stream.
  20. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

My father trembles every time that he has consumed coffee. I also saw it in him when he was still smoking. I guess it is normal to people who engage themselves in vices, isn't it?