An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Triggers, are they physical or psychological?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joethefirst, Oct 26, 2015.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I feel it to be a combination of both. If I am in a setting where smoking is not allowed and I wouldn't even want those with me knowing I was going to leave and have a smoke outside, I don't really feel as much of a craving to do so. Such was the case when my mother was in the hospital recently for surgery. We spent an entire day there in the hospital as it was a several hour surgery plus several more hours for recovery. Not once was I craving to go have a smoke.

But if I am home alone on the computer and run out of smokes, I can barely make it an hour or two before running to the store to pick up another pack. When I am trying to get work done at my computer and don't have any cigarettes on hand, I cannot concentrate on what I am doing.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

And that's one if the things I used to my advanatage when I was cutting down on the cigarettes. I always made sure I had at least one on me at all times.

I also found that if I didn't have any, I wanted one even more and the craving was too strong. As long as I knew I had one left, I could sometimes go all day because I knew it was there if I ever needed it.
  3. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Well, that can work both ways. If we have it with us we might not think about it, but might also make us wanna light it up. Certainly doesn't work with hard drugs though.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The amazing part was that Allen Carr went from 100 cigarettes a day to zero cigarettes over night. He didn't use will power and actually speaks out against using it. He tells you exactly what he did and how he was finally able to stop.
  5. oportosanto

Even if I respect what he did, I mean 100 to 0 over night is impressive, I believe that what works for some, might not work for others, I mean, it's not a magic formula.
  6. Joethefirst

I do think you are right but he is very convincing and does explain how the addiction works. He has helped millions of people quit smoking and there are quit a lot of celebrities that swear by him. I do believe on the other hand that you have to find what works for you and do it.
  7. oportosanto

Yeah, if I was about to quit smoking I would read the book for sure because as you say it has helped a lot of people and eventually it could work for me.
  8. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I'd say its all in the head. Sure, your senses contribute such as smell and vision, but its your brain that tells you that you "need" more of it whenever you see it. I guess you just need to fight it somehow. The part where physical is more prominent than psychological is when you get the enjoyment of using that drug, where at that time the psychological part of you is probably telling you "this is so good" or "I shouldn't be doing this," its the psychological part that you have to make use of to fight the psychical part I guess.
  9. oportosanto

No question there, what make us move is the psychological part, so we need to be sharp and have strategies to control ourselves or else we will fail.
  10. Joethefirst

The min thing that you have to deal with after quitting smoking are the triggers that might set you off. If there isn't any nicotine in your body and you haven't smoked for a while then it just proves that the psychological part of it is probably stronger then what most people think.
  11. oportosanto

Physical detox is hard, but it's the easiest step of them all because when our body is clean a struggle that last much time begins, to keep clean.
  12. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

I also think that most of the triggers are psychological. It's not at all physical. All the urges and triggers are obtained in mind and my 'mind' always starts to find several reasons to smoke. So, it's definitely psychological.
  13. oportosanto

That is correct, once we have physically detoxed we need to keep our head clean or else triggers will take us back to consumption. Avoid triggers, avoid locations, we need to get a new life.