An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Triggers

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by introspectivgroup, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Is anyone aware of what their triggers are? I heard that many people are unaware of what their triggers are and they get led down the same path of destruction. What is the best way to identify your triggers?
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The best way to identify your triggers is to get to the root of your problems. If you are depressed over something, know the reason why you were driven into this condition. Is it because of what others said or is it because you cannot accept reality? Either way, you have to know your own flaws and love them so that it won't be difficult for you to learn from mistakes and failures.
    dyanmarie25 likes this.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Very well said. I totally agree with you.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think being observant is the best way to find your triggers. Most people don't have access to a psychiatrist that could ask the right questions, so the best to do in this situation would be to just be more aware of your own emotions so you can better trace when you are craving and what exactly may be the thoughts or events that trigger it.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

People either take drugs for the 1st time out of boredom, curiosity, or they are stressed or depressed. Now when they are already addicted to taking drugs, they now take it to get high or forget a problem. But with that said, each person is different, so it's really a case to case basis. The most important thing is that they should avoid situations that make them crave for the drug.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, in order to detect triggers you have to experience them first. You won't really be able to find the root of your problem if you never experienced that certain trigger.
    You should also look for your flaws and issues, those can be a trigger too.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Boredom is my trigger. If I have to much free time on my hands I start to think about going out at night in town and blowing off some steam. Usually drinking is part of that. How do I counteract boredom? I always find ways to keep myself busy. I walk the dog in between internet work, and I never take a break to just sit there and watch TV. I find if I keep myself constantly busy I end up being so tired at night that I get a good nights sleep.
    imperivm1 likes this.
  8. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I second this. Boredom is possibly the major cause for all sorts of addictions. Just mull over it for a bit. Why do you think most people resort to taking drugs or drinking alcohol in the first place? Because they have nothing better to do. They know they'll get a kick out of it and just go for it. Boredom is a silent killer.
  9. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

I agree with the boredom comment. It was my reason for getting into Mary Jane and drinking at a young age and its because we clearly think it'll help us have a better time.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Yes, it's boredom for me as well. The trick is to have a bunch of things to do and if there's still nothing them make something to do. Even if it's just going out for a walk or something.
  11. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I think it's unanimous. Boredom is the cause for most to go back into relapse. If you have too much time on your hands and not enough activity to keep you busy, you start to use again. It's painfully obvious. Go get some hobbies and make a routine for you to do everyday. Stick to that routine and not get bored.