An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

True Friends Force You To Drink?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Miaka_M, Jul 4, 2015.

1. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

Years ago I used to hang with a group of friends where drinking slowly became the focus of hanging out. I was never overly forced or pressured to drink, but it does seem to get in the way of real friendship. I don't think people do this maliciously, it just tends to consume any other activity that might otherwise be the focus of hanging out.
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I have had experiences like that as well. I didn’t feel so much like certain friends were forcing me to drink, but it became all we ever did. To me, that felt pretty empty and meaningless. So I’d agree, there are plenty of cases where it isn’t forced, it just happens to become the norm.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

True friends won't force you to do anything. If someone is your friend it shouldn't matter if you drink or not. That's like some one who eats pork rinds that wouldn't want to be friends with someone who doesn't like them, it's ridiculous. If some one knew you had an addiction problem and forced you to drink, that's more like a enemy than a friend. Friends won't force you to do something you don't want to do.
  4. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

It kind of becomes a culture, doesn't it? Growing up, it seemed like my friends and I always found something fun and different to do. Once drinking became part of the routine, however, it seemed like it developed into finding excuses to drink and people to drink with. Other times it became finding things to do while drinking. Actual quality time became less important.
  5. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, I think that if someone that you consider your friend must be aware that you are an individual who has the freedom and ability to make decisions which that person believes that are the best, and I think that someone is not your real friend if that person is forcing you to do something that makes you feel uncomfortable or something that you just don’t want to do, but it is just my opinion.
  6. srofltank

srofltank Member

True friends won't necessarily force you to drink alcohol, especially if it is already causing a great impact upon your lifestyle. If you're at a point that you're so addicted to alcohol not only has it changed your lifestyle but your health as well, then it's probably time to end that friendship that you have, or at least try to be honest and limit that borderline. True friends will acknowledge your situation and will understand if you want to drink or not.
  7. rightct

rightct Community Champion

First and foremost, those people aren't friends at all. I know for a fact that if they try to lure you into these things, they want to feel better about themselves, that they aren't the only ones who consume substances. Beware that, even though alcohol is generally looked upon good if drunk responsibly... it can be a gateway to other more dangerous ones, so be careful!!!
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Some of friends who drink alcohol tried to convince me to drink or have a taste of it. Some were so insisted but when I say "No" and that is firm, they do not force me or stop convincing me to drink which is respect on your decision.
    I think those who forced you into it even you say no are not real friends and would like you to get addicted to it are secret enemies. They would want to see you destroyed.
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

They may want to take the advantage of your Idleness and desperate state. The best thing one needs to do is to avoid them completely. If one has never taken alcohol then he should not be forced to take. They are truly not good friends.
  10. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

True friends will never let you do anything you do not want to. Peer pressure is a common issue with teens and this is the cause of why many teenagers start drinking or smoking. If they are really your friends, they will not drag you down with them.

I remember in high school, I had a friend who is a chain smoker. She was my bestfriend then, we always hangout and go to her house or my house. Never did she ask me to take a cigarette or drink with her or her other friends. Not even once. And for that, I know she is a true friend.
  11. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

True friends would never force you to drink, if they force you to drink then their not real true friends.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have noticed a lot addicts like to push their ''friends'' to try the drugs they do. I have seen this done with alcohol and other drugs, those people seem to feel the urge to push you into the dirt with them. I think those who do that do know they are in the dirt, very stuck in it, so they try to feel better by trying to make you fall for that as well.
  13. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Agreed. Most of my fondest memories with those friends were from before we became of legal age. In many ways, I thought we were WAY more creative and fun before alcohol was more readily available to us. Having that limit removed, ironically, seemed to limit us more.
  14. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

No way. Any reasonable friend, or well, decent person, would never force someone else to drink, ESPECIALLY not if there's any evidence or even a hint of any sort of underlying or expressed disorder, like addiction.
  15. Thejamal

Thejamal Active Contributor

What do you mean by "force you to drink?" What kind of people are you hanging out with?

Most of the people I drink with don't care if I drink or not at that time. They of course ask, but why would they force you to drink? And why would you fall into that peer pressure where you felt forced to drink? It should always be your decision when you drink or not.

Some things with addiction spiral out of our control, but this situation is not one of them.
  16. I had told friends for years I don't drink. Why I don't drink I failed to tell most of them. It's not really anyones business but my own really but hey ho. Those closest to me are the only ones that know what and who I am. And thats all that matters. True friends who know you have an addiction or an allergy to alcohol will never force you to drink ever. Thats a fact. Stay clear from those who do I guess is what I am trying to say. x
  17. SunnyArc

SunnyArc Member

Of course they are not your friends if they try to force you to drink with them, true friends would realise that you need to change as a person and get help and they should be helping you out by not drinking around etc and be mindful about alcohol when you start going out while in the first stages of recovery to help you stay on the right path.

I think its pretty simple any "friend" that doesn't want to help better you as a person or see you doing well is not your friend
  18. run2live

run2live Member

When I quit drinking, I learned really quickly who my friends are. They're the ones who changed venues to keep from hanging out at bars all the time until I knew I could handle being there without drinking. They went on walks through the city, hiked with me, went kayaking and to soccer games. And when they drank and I didn't, they didn't say a single word about whether I'd like a drink. They asked if I minded, and if I said no they got a beer. End of story.