An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Truth Commercials

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by sonia11, Jul 26, 2015.

1. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

What do you think of those Truth anti-smoking commercials? You've probably seen them if you live in the US. They use the "scared straight" method to try to discourage people from smoking. They show people with horrible physical ailments, diabetes, cancer, etc. Do you think these commercials actually dissuade kids from smoking? Or does it inspire anyone to quit? I don't know, I think a lot of people see those and decide, "Eh, that's someone else, it won't happen to me."
  2. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

We don;t have them here in the Philippines. But when the tax on cigarettes was a major issue in congress, scare tactics from doctors and activists were everywhere on tv. I think it really helps in reducing the number of new smokers. It also helps that everyone in the media dismiss smoking as one of the worst habits you can pick up. At least alcohol has commercials.
  3. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

We do not have them in our country as one poster said. But when I actually showed my husband pictures of people who have had some parts of their bodies damaged by smoking, he actually felt disgusted. He shoved my phone away ad walked away lol.

We also saw this documentary where former cigarette smokers are shown and al of them talks with the help of a mic on their necks. Their larynx or pharynx were damaged by the cigarette so much that they cannot talk anymore. He changed the channel too lol.

I think these scare tactics actually work. My husband is one example. He actually felt disgusted and scared by seeing these people suffering because of smoking.
  4. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I haven't seen any of those commercials, but the images on cigarette cartons are strong enough as they are. I think that these images work very well where I currently live, which happens to be a third world country. People here tend to regard smoking as an unnecessary evil. For one thing, there is a lot of poverty in this country, and most folks rather spend the money that they would pay for cigarettes, on something edible or some minor amusement. And on the other hand, if you get ill from smoking-related diseases, there is a good chance that you won't be able to afford any treatment for it. Also, most companies won't hire smokers. And it's hard to hide your habit on a daily basis. Co-workers and colleagues will find out eventually, and you might just as well lose your job and your ability to feed your family.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  5. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I personally think that is a really effective way to communicate the message that they want to give, I live in Mexico and I have seen few of those commercials on the TV, but here they are actually putting scary images on the cigarettes packs, I don't know if in the US do the same thing, but it's definitely shocking as a smoker, you don't expect to see such a crude and cruel image when you're 'enjoying' a cigarette, some of those images are the next ones:
    http://mexico.cnn.com/media/2010/10/26/tabaquismo-3.jpg
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

@amethyst
    Good thing your citizens feel that smoking is an unnecessary evil. Here in ours, even the poorest of the poor buys cigarettes. They do not even have money to buy food then if they do have money, they waste it on cigarettes. I think cigarette tax should be lifted here but manufacturers have connections in the government that obstruct the passage of this bill. Cigarettes here are very cheap and hence easily accessible.
  7. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

In the US fewer young people are smoking than ever. But as Coolkidhere pointed out, we also have a problem among lower income people who spend their money on cigarettes. They cost $10 a pack in some places, and these people don't have money for rent or food, but they still buy cigarettes. It's sad.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not watched any of those truth commercials. But I think it could at least give an impact even a very small one. It could make someone realize how bad smoking is and that what are the consequences.
  9. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I think it's a bit much. As long as we educate our youth on the harms of it so that they can make an educated decision, the rest is up to them.