An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Try Something Different

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by irishrose, Apr 2, 2016.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

If you have been stuck in a rut with bad habits that simply seem unbreakable, try something different. Your same old daily routine is not cutting it if you are still using, but want to quit.

You can start by adding something positive to your life to fill the empty space drugs or alcohol leave behind. What is something positive you want to improve on about yourself? It could be adding a daily workout routine, adding time for family and friends on a daily basis, adding relaxation time for yourself by reading or plating video games, etc.

What have you tried to change in your life to make a difference?
    bhu and kassie1234 like this.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I actually used to smoke weed and cigarettes, but now not anymore, since I simply lost interest in smoking them. So far I have been nicotine-free since 2011 and weed-free since 2002.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Definitely try and change things up. Monotony leads to boredom and then we use. So best to just add a few new activities in the day to change it up. Make of list of all the things that you can do to fill your day and totally exhaust yourself. Clean the house, take the dog for extra walks, deep clean your room. Anything to get your mind occupied on something other then using again.
  4. Mara

Mara Community Champion

As the saying goes, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop," when we're not doing something that's productive, we might get into trouble. We might think of doing something awful because of boredom. We might get tempted to drink or smoke again because we would be craving for them. So the trick is to get busy, to get our mind off of such things.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Physical fitness and working out was definitely something that helped me. It made me feel like I was nurturing my body, and making it stronger - and I think in turn, it made me mentally stronger too, piece by piece.

It's still my go-to thing when I am feeling particularly stressed or overwhelmed.
  6. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Since couple of weeks, I am battling with anxiety. Anxiety is new for me because I have never have had anxiety in my life. I am trying to divert my mind by watching feel good movie, visiting temples, listening to the music of my choice, and spending time in gardening.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

For someone battling something like alcoholism since you can't drink during work hours, you could find something that you could after work. Volunteering can be great. The time will be spent doing some good and it might be what you need to start living your life differently. Learning something new might also be a good use of time that would be spent doing drugs if volunteering is something you are willing to do. There are numerous free courses on the net.
  8. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think it's sound advice that you incorporate something new in your life to be an alternative to the addicting substance. For me, it has to be writing that has lead me away from my former life. Writing is a way for me to release pent-up emotions. In a way, it's a creative outlet that has helped keep my mind and hands busy.

For a long time, I've been ruining my life doing non-sense things. If only I have known that writing could have helped me during those times, I would have resorted to it even earlier.

Right now, writing is not only a way of leading me away from addictions, it's also a way of earning for my family as well as myself. The added bonus, earning from it, is just another incentive for me to keep doing what I love doing. My family is extremely proud of what I have left behind and what I am able to accomplish.

So find that something that can make a difference in your life. Find that something that will fill that void that you try to fill in with something like alcohol or drugs. Good luck!
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

It takes a while to get your mind around to trying out new things, as often you aren't just addicted to certain bad habits, but also to the thoughts that accompany those habits. I feel that often the first step is to start "thinking yourself better". You can mindlessly follow some new activity and feel its benefits, but if your mind and thoughts are not geared towards change and an overall improvement, you will soon fall back into the same trap again.
  10. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Sometimes a switch of pace or a change in environment is all that is needed to spark something special. When I was really caught in a rut I was surrounded by negative things all around, and a large part of my recovery was getting away from those. New places, new people, new experiences...those are all great for trying to get a new start.
  11. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Exercise is definitely a good technique to to relax your mind and body. When we exercise, our body releases pain killing hormones, which ultimately creates good feeling. Exercise is good for everyone,even more for people battling with addiction o mental conditions.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  12. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

I agree. Doing the same thing over and over with no results is not going to suddenly start getting you them. Adjust and test.
  13. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Not to get all spiritual on you, but I think there is something much greater than us driving us in the right direction. For me the way it has always worked is that on a regular basis I get this inner desire to change, to become a better person. So, I go about looking for a way to improve myself, whether it is by meeting new people, visiting new places, reading new books, or by looking for answers in other ways. The solutions are always there in front of us, all we have to do is ask. And I have always asked the right question. So that is what I have done on a continuous basis- asked the right questions and then done something that was right outside my comfort zone.

For example, I never ask, why me or why is this happening to me. I always ask, how can I change this, improve this, accomplish this or solve this? That question changes everything. And then I go deeper and deeper looking for a solution.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that if you like to see change, do something you never done before. It will be better if you will try something which is beneficial or for the betterment of things or your life in general. Just like learning new skills.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I used to plan a lot and set near-to-impossible goals back when I was a teenager. When things don't turn out the way I want them to, I sulk and feel bad about myself. These days, I've become more flexible and less complaining. I try to see the brighter side of any situation and become more open to all kinds of enriching activities. I have stopped blaming others and always treat my mistakes as avenues for improvement. I try to become more hands-on in everything that I do so that I feel that I'm doing something worth it and meaningful. You can't be too hard on yourself. This life is much too short so don't dwell on negative things if you can help it.
  16. djdrug

Becoming more flexible is always better. I have also learned that when it comes to creating change, the more flexible you are the better you will be able to handle difficult situations.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Your attitude is awesome - I need to stop with the "why me" attitude and try to incorporate more of your positivity to things happening in my life! Thanks for the fresh mindset!
    djdrug likes this.
  18. djdrug

I'm glad you liked my attitude :) The why me attitude is what causes the most problems.
  19. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I always believe that there is no such permanent thing in this world except change. There is always a room for improvement for ourselves for the better of our life. When can explore something better that will make our life meaningful. Try to create a new habit to attract good positive vibes in your life. A change in your health lifestyle, making new friends, getting a new job that interest you or go on travelling with your family and friends are only some of the great things that you can do to start a new life.
  20. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Great topic and a fountain of wonderful responses! Love them all. I've heard many similar slogans in the 12 step groups, such as "It's all about change today," and "If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten." Some things I've begun doing differently are writing, trying new recipes and creating my own, enhancing my professional skills by asking colleagues for tips on what's working for them, as well as watching what they're doing and (imitation being the highest form of flattery) trying their tools and ways of doing things. Keep coming back, everybody, and good luck!