An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Trying methadone

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Jullesdee, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Jullesdee

Jullesdee Member

Hi well I am petrified because I am trying something new. I have been on heroin for several years , before that loratab, oxy,roxy, any narcotic. I was getting from a doctor for pain and did great and then with this opioid crisis the doctors in area took most everyone off meds well I bought pills off the street for years, my same loratab but they become impossible to find so I had to start getting what I could roxy oxy ect but I could not afford that after a few years so I went to heroin , now I cannot afford heroin! I’m going to loose everything if I keep going like this. However I cannot live in pain , add pain to my depression and well... I have gotten myself off heroin before with subox but went back to pills and heroin because of pain. That brings me here.

methadone. I’m scared because of a few reasons I take Xanax for panic attacks. I used to end up in the hospital until Xanax and I’m afraid I will loose my Xanax over methadone. I’m worried with my heath problems the going out daily to get my dose I’m worried about how they say the withdrawal from methadone is way way harder .

The positives as to why I want to try this is the pain factor. Why bring myself offf with subox again when I know pain will bring me back to using. If methadone can help my pain as well then maybe this will work ? Will it be worth it or am I making a huge mistake
  2. True concern

True concern Moderator

I responded on another thread please look for it
  3. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

@Jullesdee hello. Please read my thread my journey at the methadone clinic. I had many of your same concerns. You only have to go to the clinic every day in the beginning. You work towards getting your take home bottles then you don't have to go every day. I've seen people in there in bad shape. You can do it. You go out to get heroin don't you? My clinic will limit the number of take homes when you are on Benzos but every clinic is different. This can be the start of a new you. You got this.
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  4. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

i dont thin k a clinic would jsut rip you off of xanax because thats very dangerous. they may have you lower the dose or swap to a longer lasting benzo like temazapam...
    but whatever you do getting off of heroin is not a mistake. anything you do to get off of heroin would be a step in the right direction.
    methadone is great for pain. also you wont have the H withdrawal. i agree with @DoxyMom here.
    you had to get your dope, so you can get your methadone. its healthier, cheaper, monitored, not cut with who knows what...the list goes on.
    however, i can tell you that if you use suboxone for a long time, and especially a high enogh dose to work for pain then you are in for a detox you didnt know existed. i dont recomend suboxone for you here. and im a huge fan of subs. but you can detox many many times or just put your addiction on hold with subs until you re-up unless you break the cycle.
    sounds liek methadone might be a good route for you to take. just have to know that it will start wearing off before the day is over...this is where i messed up. i dint want to feel sober. if i had taken the methadone program seriouslly it woudl have worked for me i think.
    but in your case seems like two birds with one stone. off of the heroin and pain killer at the same time. just dont run for dope at the end of the day- like i started doing. be ok with it wearing off and i think youll be fine.
    keep us updated
    God bless
  5. amillie412

amillie412 Senior Contributor

hi and good morning. so i think that methadone is a great tool that addicts have access to to help overcome their heroin addiction. i was at a clinic for 7 and a half years and the program worked wonders for me. since entering the program i have not relapsed on any of the drugs that i was using prior, and it helped with pain as well. i recently have ended my program and am now methadone free. i dont have any normal physical pain so pain management was never a concern for me. but for someone who is trying to quit using and also has physical pain i would think methadone would be a good tool. do not overdo it though. i feel like every addicts ultimate goal is to be 100% clean. whats nice at the clinic is that you get other help than just the methadone. counseling..groups..things that will stick with you years later to help with sobriety.
    True concern and Joshstillclean like this.
  6. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

@Jullesdee how is it going? You should have your dose regulated by now? I hope? I was at this point. I would love to hear how it's going.
    True concern likes this.