An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Two Weeks Without A Cig!

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by KennedyBaby19, Oct 18, 2015.

1. KennedyBaby19

KennedyBaby19 Active Contributor

I've smoked since i was 14 and a few weeks ago i made the choice to quit.

Its hard. I literally crave a Newport almost every second of every day. I'm always irritable, I snap at friends and family for absolutely no reason, and I just feel down everyday. I've lost almost ten pounds already because I just don't have an appetite anymore (that cigarette after each meal used to be amazing).

I used to think I was a very stong person, now I'm not so sure. I can feel myself slipping. Cigarettes are all i think about. My mom is addicted to coke and alcohol, I used to think her addictions were bad. Now I just realize how much of a hypocrite I've been.

Almost an hour ago, I went out and got a pack. I haven't smoked one yet but its just a matter of time. I've always been an overachiever, I don't want to fail at this. Its not healthy.
  2. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Throw the pack out! You can do this! You've set a goal for yourself and that's amazing already!! Now you just need to stick with your will power and overcome the temptations. Occupy your mind when that thought arises. Wishing you all the best!
    KennedyBaby19 and deanokat like this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I agree. As long as you have the cigarettes around the temptation to smoke will only get stronger. Get rid of the cigarettes you bought and hard though it might be focus on resisting the cravings to smoke. Fight them hard because after a while it certainly will get easier. It might take a while, four weeks, maybe longer but do it a day at a time. That's how you'll beat the addiction.
    KennedyBaby19, deanokat and henry like this.
  4. henry

henry Community Champion

I agree with the other posters. As long as you have them around, you'll keep sucking them. Just throw them out. Maybe you can give the e-cig a try. I've been trying it for the past few days, and I've already gone down from 10 cigarettes a day to four, so something must be going right.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@KennedyBaby19... Get rid of that pack of cigarettes you bought. You don't need 'em. Two weeks without smoking is so great. Don't you want to keep on going?? Once you get used to being smoke-free, your life will be soooo much better and healthier. Trust me. I quit 25 years ago and it's one of the best things I've ever done...for myself and for the people who care about me.

You are stronger than that pack of Newports, my friend.
  6. KennedyBaby19

KennedyBaby19 Active Contributor

Thank you for all the kind words!

I had my friend come over and she snatched the pack before I could smoke one, thankfully. I don't want the last two weeks to have been a waste so I have to keep going! I feel much better today than yesterday, although I'm still craving hard. Still thought about cigarettes almost a dozen times today, but I'd rather just think and crave than 'relapse'.

I can see some of the benefits of quitting already. Checking my bank account and seeing how much I've already saved from not buying cartons of cigs each week is awesome. So I'm just going to use that and my health as motivation. This site is a lifesaver.
    Sparkster and deanokat like this.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@KennedyBaby19... Happy to hear you're still smoke-free and that those cigs are gone! You're doing great! Just keep going!!! :)
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Get rid of those cigs immediately! You know those taxes that are paid on every pack of cigarettes? There's every chance that they are used for government expenses. This means that by buying cigarettes, you may well be funding fancy White House receptions. I bet that'll help put you off buying anymore.

That's what I used to do when I was quitting and finding things hard going. I'd think about where the tax on the pack of cigarettes I wanted would end up going. I'm really not a fan of our Prime Minister at all so the thought that I was subsidising his party's outlandish expenses was a great deterrent.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I know those newports are those most addictive. You should try a replacement habit, like making jiffy pop or eating tic-tacs when you get the urge to smoke. These are just a few things I heard that help with this problem. But mostly you have to use will power you can't get around that. I would get rid of that pack as long as it's sitting there you will want to smoke it. Good luck.
  10. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

Congratulations! That is so great!!!! I've seen how hard it is, my mom has tried to quit many times and never been able to do it.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Two weeks without a cigarette is some achievement, and hopefully you should be over the worst of the cravings by now. Like you said there will be a significant increase in your bank balance aswell so that's only more motivation for you to carry on going.
  12. L_B

L_B Community Champion

You are doing great! This is an awesome accomplishment!! Keep up the good work! Before you know it months and even years will have passed and you won't even think of them!! WTG! Keep doing what you're doing and keep us posted!
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Throw that pack away. Rip the cigarettes, pour water over them, everything but destroy them like they were your arch enemy. You will see that you'll feel a lot better afterwards. Think about how much dedication it took, and how everything will be in vain and about to come to an end. Be stronger than your cravings. Good luck!
  14. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

First of all, congrats.
    Second of all, try to avoid any triggers. Go to the toilet and flush that pack immediatly. You can do it! If you succeed doing this and get through this craving phase without cheating, you won't have any problems in resisting from now on.
  15. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

First of all, congrats on two weeks!
    Get rid of that pack right away. I know for me, I wouldn't be able to handle the temptation for long. Just get rid of them. It is ok that you slipped up and bought them, but you have been doing so good don't give up now!
  16. 6up

6up Community Champion

If you do not want to get back to smoking, buy supportive and motivational material so that you can be reading and watching whenever you are idle. Get some work to do so that you can be able to avoid those friends who may want to influence you into smoking. Never go to parties where you can get free cigarettes.
  17. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I'm so proud of you KennedyBaby19. I know you don't feel strong right now, but I admire you because I'm a smoker myself and I wish I had the strength to make it as far as you have. I've only made is as far as 2 days and failed. I later hated myself for it. If you've already made it this far, it shows your strength of character. Keep your chin up, you are doing awesome. Good luck in your journey.
  18. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Well, I sincerely hope you are still free from the grasp of nicotine? Two weeks is an excellent achievement and bear this is mind: the first two days are the most difficult. If you can make it through those first two days then you can do it. Obviously, two weeks is even better. That means you can do it for another two weeks... and another two weeks...
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good to know that you are able to not smoke for weeks, treat it as an achievement. Also do not think that you are weak now that you finally want to get rid of the addiction, you actually become stronger for making that decision and trying your best to make it happen. Good luck and I agree that better to throw that pack and never buy again.
  20. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Throw that pack away. You are making an excuse to start up again. It's going to be hard, but you've already gotten this far without quitting. The biggest reason I continued to smoke was because I kept making pity parties for myself complaining about how I wasn't strong enough. Quitting isn't easy, but it also isn't worth it to continue smoking.
    MichelleVL likes this.