An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Two Weeks Without A Cig!

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by KennedyBaby19, Oct 18, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Great for you! It's important to recognize when we need help. It is difficult to do anything on your own, so great job reaching out to a friend and also to fellow posters on this site. Keep focusing on the positives of quitting smoking. Like you said, you will see those dollars add up in your bank account, not to mention all of the health benefits that you will gain over time. Congratulations, keep up the great work!
  2. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

Motivational post right here! It's always good to see fellow cigarette addicts quitting successfully, especially when they admit that the cravings are still there and it's difficult. It shows a real passion and strong willpower. I hope that I will be able to do this soon as well.
    Great job, Kennedy!
  3. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

You're definitely on the right track. Yes, this is not healthy at all and could potentially destroy your life. Hang in there! Don't stop now. It's okay to crack up now and then but don't stop trying. Even if you fall, get up again and start from scratch.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

You can throw those cigarettes away and you should, but don't beat yourself up if you can't. I heard on TV one time that it usually takes something like 7 attempts to quit smoking, and if this is your first time to try, it might take another time or two before you can totally quit. However, you do have a great start!
    missbishi likes this.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Oh yeah, virtually nobody quits for good the first time around. Nicotine has such a nasty grip on people and it's far stronger than we realise. It took me eight serious attempts to quit for good. I say "for good", in reality it has been 10 months and counting.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Cigarettes are all you think about. Sounds like mind control. Smoke, smoke, smoke, buy them, buy them. buy them. I've got to have them. This is obsessive thought patterns. There are many reasons for this.
  7. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

Congratulations! Glad to hear that.
  8. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

I want to congratulate to you coming back to your senses. Good job! I am sure we all feel proud of you here! I hope you manage to avoid the temptation in the future and stay on this right track. I wish others could be as willing and determined as you are.
  9. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Maybe you should take it a bit slower. I know i guy who quit by cutting the tips of the cigarettes. Literally, every week he would buy the same amount but he would smoke less. If you think about it it makes sense, a bit. Because it doesn't really matter how much you have , you only need to feel the cigarette and by cutting them you will reduce the intake slowly and it wouldn't feel like you are quitting or even worse you just stop smoking all of a sudden, that is a big shock to your mind and body.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Congratulations for your initiative! Keep going and you're gonna forget about cigarettes in no time, trust me! Make sure to keep focused and busy. Take on new hobbies, travel, eat healthy, do anything that doesn't involve substance use. You can do it, I know you can!
  11. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

You are not a weak person! The fact that you are actually dealing with the cravings says a lot about how strong you are, don't give up! I'm pretty sure that you're going to find a way to deal with the cravings.
  12. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Stay safe out there, man! Temptations lie at every single corner, but you must be strong and overcome the momentary sensation. I'm sure you can do it. I personally couldn't stand a day without smoking 5 to 10 cigarettes, and the first few months were horrible to me, but eventually, the craving will be gone. Try to look at lung pictures of avid smokers and discourage yourself from smoking.
  13. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

It doesn't matter if you failed this time, you have to keep trying. I tried and failed more times than I can remember but I never stopped. It is a hard thing to do, you need to have patience.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

How is it going with you? I hope everything is going well with you, it's been a while since you last checked in here with us. I truly hope you could be able to go on with this effort. I know how hard it is to quit smoking because I've seen what a hard time my fiance is having trying to quit. Best of luck to you!
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Good thing that your friend got rid of the cigarettes for you, be strong and don't relapse! Just think always of the money that you could be saving if you don't buy any cigarettes, so use that as a motivation.