An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Ugh, detox!

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by Mallard, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Mallard

Mallard Member

Not sure if I even want to remember my multiple detoxes, but I guess it's important to let others know, that even though you think you're going to die, or maybe you just want to die, because you feel so horrible, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

My detox experiences were from pain killers, methadone, Xanax and anti-depressants. Funny thing is, coming off Zoloft, which is an anti-depressant, was actually as bad, or worse than the other detoxes.Not in a physical sense mind you, but I came off it way too fast and went a little crazy for awhile!! I just wasn't thinking clearly and I had been taking it for OCD and until I was able to get that under control through cognitive therapy, it was definitely difficult.

Each time I was in withdrawal, I would tell myself, never again, never again, but I lost track of how many times I went through it over my long drawn out addiction. Went you pick up again, after being clean, you always think that this time will be different. But it never is. To get clean again, you have to go through the same hell to reach the other side.

I'm sure other opiate addicts can relate to the sweating, chills, shaking, insomnia, diarrhea, vomiting, etc., etc., etc. I went on methadone to avoid those pitfalls to get off pain killers and that was the worst mistake of my life. It took me 18 months to wean off it, and I was probably in full blown withdrawal for a good part of that time. I was actually hallucinating and sometimes didn't even know who my family was. BUT, I made it through, and so can you!!

Good luck to anyone in that situation, and know that I am here if you need to vent or just tell me how awful you feel, because I can relate.
    Lotus1 likes this.
  2. ayywithemm

ayywithemm Member

Thank you for sharing this experience, I know it can be hard sometimes. I'm sure someone will read this and relate to it.
    Congrats on seeing it out and staying clean!
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Interesting, lots of side effects. I guess you really need good supervision when you are dealing with this kind of a detox. It must feel good to get all of that out of your system, after I mean. During is nightmarish. Hopefully enough to make you not want to have to go through all of that again.
  4. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

I am so happy that you are well and that you are supportive of other people's struggles during this harsh time of detox. I wish you the best on your journey.
  5. Delaney

Delaney Member

A horrendous experience to go through, but then the alternative is so much worse. You know what the alternative is. If there's anything I can do, just PM me.
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

You came through it alright, and that's the only thing that counts. After all those experiences you've probably become more reluctant to fall back into old patterns. But I know, if you have to go through it all again, you'll come out stronger and you will eventually see that it's not worth risking your health and well-being. Sense will kick in. :)
  7. shellybean808

shellybean808 Member

Wow. All I can say is wow. That's a testament to how strong you are. I'm going through my own version of hell. I'm not really in the stage of disclosing my addiction. Hopefully one day I will be confident enough to share my addiction and how I got to the other side. Right now I am taking baby steps. I feel like I want to take a leap of faith but I remember being here before and I don't want to mess up my progress by being too extreme. Kudos to you for making it through and wish me luck on my journey.
  8. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

Hey just read your quote that's the right attitude just take baby steps for now and for as long as you have to the giant leaps will come when your ready just remember this is your recovery and only you know what works best for you but having said that always keep an open mind as to what other's whom have had the same journey suggest it's good to hear and take on board other people's experience's. And yes I do wish you the best of luck go for it and let nothing get you down GOOD LUCK
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Even baby steps will eventually get you to where you want to go. :)
    Donnchadh likes this.