An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Understanding Withdrawl

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Peachdejour, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Peachdejour

Peachdejour Member

I never truly understood the strength it took my mother to get clean until I got sick. I have Syringomyelia and Chiari Malformation and Ehler Danlos Syndrome. I was born with all three. All three are painful conditions with no cure that started to take their toll on my body in the past 2 years. That means therapy and pain pills. I experienced my first bad withdrawal when they switched me from one pain killer to another that would work better. My mother was the first to notice the symptoms, she had been there. The problem was that they were stepping me down and my system was hypersensitive. I went through withdrawal with each step down, for a month. Then, I had withdrawals each time they screwed up a script. Pain, sweats, nausea, vertigo and mood swings. I've never had more respect for my mother than I do now. It takes courage to get clean.
  2. FilmFan

FilmFan Member

That is an incredible account Peachdejour!

It can be interesting how things play out sometime. Your mother having gone through withdrawal, making her able to notice your symptoms so quickly, ended up being a positive thing for you, her daughter. I also reckon that she likewise has a better understanding of your struggles and pain and knows how strong you've had to be.

It definitely takes courage and strength, and the whole process isn't anywhere as easy as some make it out to be. It's nice there is a site like this to learn more and communicate with others. You likely have a better ability to relate to many on here now because of this experience, and it is great that you shared this.

I wish you all the best with your conditions and your mother with her continued success in getting clean!
  3. Peachdejour

Peachdejour Member

I agree. I was really fortunate to have my mom there to help. It was weird. I did not have any withdrawl from the narcotics they had me of previously, but the nerve painkillers were very bad. I think it scared my mom to know how high my pain medications had gotten. My mom is celebrating 16 years sober this year. It's almost hard to believe it's been that long.
  4. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

I agree, even though it was probably an experience that she wishes she didn't have to go through it - her experience enabled her to help you through a difficult time with knowledge and understanding What a blessing.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It was good that your mom knew what to do, and you could not ask for a better person to help you. There is always something comforting about mom being there when you need her the most.
  6. Peachdejour

Peachdejour Member

You couldn't be more right! It's funny you always want your mom there when you are sick, and I definitely want my mom during these times too. It's the worst kind of feeling. I'm sure I would have figured out what was happening eventually, but having my mom there and picking up on the symptoms made the experience much easier.
  7. Rosyrain

It is funny, the older I get, the more I want my mom around just because. She lives a couple of hours away so I don't get to see her as often as I would like to, but we talk on the phone often. I love going home because just for a while, I don't have to worry about anything in this world except for just being there and being in her company. I hope you are doing better now that your medications are balanced.
  8. Jimmy Loc

Jimmy Loc Member

Depending on the severity of the damage done on the biochemistry of the body, one may or may not recover as easy as other cases. For instance with less addictive drugs merely forgetting about the particular substance can be effective, or replacing its use with productivity can be just as effective if not more. Embracing withdrawal as the the process to recovery is a another method, acknowledging it as progress. In accordance to a saying undergoing that pain, is what will bring one to achieve their desired recovery.
  9. Rosyrain

I think the withdrawal part of recovery is what gets most people in the end. You have to have strong will power and remember that it is a mind over matter thing. There are some days that I crave cigarettes, but then I remember how bad I wanted to quit in the first place and think about the progress I hAve made. I then remind myself that my body does not need one because the physical addiction is gone, it is just my mind fooling me.