An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Unfiltered Cigarette Smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by JoshPosh, Mar 1, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The payoff is the extra amount of tar and other dangerous chemicals in your body. Without that filter you are getting maximum tar hit directly into your lungs. These are Marlboro Reds. They are strong as it is.
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Have you ever noticed that it's generally the older generation who don't use filters in their rollies? I don't think that tobacco manufacturers actually made filters for them when rolling tobacco was first introduced. These days, filters tend to come with a lot of rolling tobacco when you buy it whereas years ago they didn't. You previously had to buy filters separately if you wanted them, which most people didn't. I can remember the days when nobody used filters in their rollies.
  3. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

Back in the day, wasn't Camel known for being sold as filter-less? Besides me, does anyone agree that since the tobacco companies want to keep people addicted, they can manage how effective their filters are? Wouldn't it be great if a third party were to manufacture the filters for all tobacco companies? Who? Maybe a finger of the US government? After all, they do require the warning on the packaging.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I tried that when I was still addicted to cigarettes but I never really liked the taste. It was very powerful and I was already damaging my body as it was so I stopped.
    I know some friends that enjoy them though, and they smoke like that everyday.
  5. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

That sounds harsh. The filters are there for a reason. I imagine it being like gargling a mouth full of grass tainted with oil.

That is hardcore the more I think about it. And when she did go back to filtered cigarettes, were they to light for her then? Must of been. It's like drinking tequila then going back to soda for a buzz.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I take them with a pinch of salt. The majority of e-cigs actually contain little more than nicotine and propylene glycol, which is also known as E1520. It's often found in mass-produced frozen desserts and ice cream. So people have been ingesting this stuff for decades yet there have been no ill-effects proven.
  7. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I've tried it once and it burned my lips so I never tried it again. It was so stupid really. I was in elementary and my grandma came to visit. She smokes a lot and I was really fascinated by her smoking because she smokes her cigarettes backwards. How do I explain this? Hmmm..the burning part of the cigarette is inside her mouth. And her cigarettes have no filters. It was my first time to see that kind of cigarette. The paper is dark brown in color and the cigarette was really long and thin, very different from the usual cigarette that we see today. So, when no one was looking, I took one stick from her cigarette pack and tried one. It was so hot that it burned my mouth. I threw the cigarette right away and never tried imitating my grandma smoke ever again.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I must admit I've never tried it but I know people that still do.

I'd imagine it's definitely more harmful but saying that smoking is harmful full stop so I don't know if there's different levels to it?
  9. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

I used to trim the filter to make the cigarettes harsher, but finally quit doing that. Out of monetary necessity I had temporarily switched to rollies a few months ago. I noticed a massive increase in phlegm production and more of a cough and lower lung capacity. The temporary monetary gains were affecting my health so I switched back.
  10. Well, while smoking in general isn't healthy, they're both virtually the same risk. Although a non-filtered cigarette potentially allows more tar into your lungs, a filtered cigarette allows smaller particles to travel deeper into them. With the filters having small glass fibers in them, it will potentially deposit some of those fibers into your lungs damaging your oxygen intakes. The fibers also absorb the tar, therefore allowing a significant amount to be put in with them. So, although non-filters may provide less defense, they could potentially cause less damage to the lungs. Of course all cigarettes are bad for you, but non-filters may be technically "better" for you in the regard of direct damage. Menthol cigarettes are a whole different ballpark, considering they crystalize your lungs. I'm not sure if anyone had made these points before me, but I hope I was able to spread a bit of light on the subject. Smoking isn't good for you, as we all know, so the clear healthiest choice is to not do it. I hope you all have a nice day/night, goodbye.