An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Until you walk a day in my shoes. Can healthcare providers really help?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Adrianna, Sep 16, 2015.

1. bomjik

bomjik Member

First of all, you need clinical psychology help. But I personally believe, that it is only you who can help you!
  2. duremars

duremars Member

I, somehow, doubt that! I genuinely think that addiction is one of the hardest disorders that one can treat. It takes more than the will to stop consuming alcohol or taking drugs. A good start is to go to a medical center and understand the medical condition of the person. When the patient sees that his body won't last long if he/she doesn't stop taking drugs, the chances that he or she will stop taking drugs/alcohol increase. I took my father-in-law (he's an alcoholic) to this medical center: https://melbournefunctionalmedicine.com.au/what-is-functional-medicine He saw that his heart wasn't in good condition, he said that he wanted to live. Since then, he didn't taste a single drop of alcohol.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

Duremars writes>>>I, somehow, doubt that! I genuinely think that addiction is one of the hardest disorders that one can treat. It takes more than the will to stop consuming alcohol or taking drugs.<<<

It took willingness (readiness) and honesty to understand that MY addiction was THE symptom and openmindedness via self-examination is understanding why my mental instability created my addiction.

Teaching, preaching, suggestions from others boiled down to one stark reality for ME, that my addiction was self-diagnosed. It was my WILL, no one could do it for me. The outsides didn’t work, it’s an inside job. Anything else is just another form of dependency, which is looking outside of myself.

You father-in-law isn’t the majority, because my 50+ years of observation re: rehab/ treatment, indicates a high recidivism rate.
  4. CameronAlsop

CameronAlsop Member

Yeah, it actually works. Medication really helps your body to fight addictions, but you shouldn’t forget about psychologists. If you are not going to be emotionally stable, everything else is useless. 2 months ago, I was diagnosed with a rare type of disease, and I had to visit my doctor three times a week. My biggest issue was that I travel around the county all the time, but I was able to solve this issue. A really good friend of mine recommended best telehealth software and this software saved me. Now I’m being able to meet my doctor via the software. That is why I would love to recommend it.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2021