An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Up In Smoke

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by pineywood, May 30, 2015.

1. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I am back in my hometown for the summer. I thought it would fun to drive by one of our old farm houses. I had my daughter and mother in the car with me. I went to point out the house and it was gone. In its place was a trailer. I was like what in the world! Why would someone tear down the old farm house? To my surprise and despair my mother explained there was a meth explosion a few years back. This was a real wake up call to the dangers of Meth not only to users, but to manufacturers, as well. Anyone else have an experience of a Meth house explosion or close experience to share?
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Haven't heard of meth-related accidents or happening with any other drug-associated substance, but it's terrible to know something like this could happen. By reading your words, I thought the old farm house was demolished by someone, but never could imagine it was an explosion.

Even though, your comment brought to mind an issue happening at a bourbon distillery in the north of this city. I'm not sure what truly happened there as the new never reported this incident, but I remember myself taking a break in those surroundings away from home, when an acrid alcohol breeze began to blow, flooding the air to the extent that I had to take a random bus to go away because of the irritant sensation.
  3. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I can’t think of any meth house explosions over here, but there have been a handful of explosions related to manufacturing earwax marijuana. It’s been a while since the last report, and I don’t know if it’s because the manufacturing has gone down or if people are just trying to be more careful. Either way, just goes to show how much people are willing to risk for a high.
  4. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Not sure, if it was so much for use, as it was for selling. Nor, am I sure exactly when the house went up in smoke. It has been awhile, since I have driven by the old farm house and my mother was evasive. It was such a shock, I did not ask too many questions. To tell you the truth, not even sure, if it was meth or another substance. But it was drug related.

Wow. Never heard of earwax marijuana and I thought I had heard about it all. Well, apparently not.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I have read about stories like this in the news, where inconspicuous neighborhood houses have actually been meth labs and there have been explosions and all sorts of things -- in the middle of residential neighborhoods. I can't imagine how scary it would be realizing that your neighbors had been manufacturing drugs in their houses or garages and then knowing that they put lives at jeopardy -- not just from the drugs they were selling but from the risks of explosions and injuries or property damage to other homes too.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I haven't heard of one in Hawaii yet. I'm sure there are labs in the area. Shipping them in would be dangerous and anyone suspected of it would get caught. Lot of chemicals are involved here. Don't want to be next to a lab if it does blow up.
    bubblycake likes this.
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, meth labs are potentially extremely dangerous. It's not just the risk of explosion either, there are also many toxic chemicals used in the manufacturing process. It's also extremely dangerous just breathing in the fumes that are given off during the meth manufacturing process. I believe these same dangers are also present in the manufacturing of other substances too, such as amphetamine and mephedrone.
  8. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

There was one in Auckland which is in the North Island of New Zealand and happened this year in February and one person had been injured, and had burns to the chest which must of been scary and hard to survive that injury. A garage was used to make the meth and also the chemicals could of been mixed, or dropped into something to cause this sort of explosion and was a good thing no one died from this incident. I reckon this shows why it is dangerous and many people may think it is easy, but if you make a mistake there could be consequences to suffer, if the chemicals or something is added which was not meant to be in there.
  9. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

We hear about them setup in old motels and hotels in my area.
    I think each area has a problem with them in certain types of buildings.
    Right now we are having a lot of issues with pot grow houses too.
    bubblycake likes this.
  10. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

A while ago a good friend from high school moved back to town with her fiance and she reconnected with with her old friends. Her fiance had a a really strange issue with his arm, at first we thought it was something he was born with because his left arm was a lot smaller than his right arm. He always wore a sleve over it with a glove made of this weird material. None of us wanted to ask or even act like we noticed it, we didn't want to be rude or make him feel uncomfortable or self conscious about it.

We were having a small get together and having a few drinks when someone finally asked him about it. He told us all about it, when he was a small child his parents cooked meth and ended up exploding one side of the trailer they were living in with many other people. He was injured badly and was put into a medically induced coma for a while. The fat was burned off his arm and he lost most of his fingers, he almost lost his arm. He was also badly burnt all long his side. Two adults were killed in the incident. It was a really awful story. He was really open about and says he has no problem talking about it, even joked about us taking so long to ask about it.

I've known him for a while now and he's a great husband to my friend and a fanastic father to their child, really just an upbeat positive person.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  11. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Like someone else said, I don't want to be near a method lab when it explodes. I guess if people don't die from meth itself than they die trying to make it.
  12. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I had a friend that said she went to visit her hometown. She said it smelt like meth everywhere she went. Now that is sad she said the place is so sad now. I'm not sure what it smells like cooking, but I guess she does or someone told her that was the smell of meth.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

People in my area don't use meth so often, instead they abuse weed and there were some cases of "krokodil" addicts, so I haven't really had any experiences like this. But it's horrible to hear about such things. Think about the neighbors as well! They might have some sort of trauma now.
  14. Mara

Mara Community Champion

That's really scary. People tend to get hurt when they're around Meth, whether they are using it, or manufacturing the stuff. So better steer away from it.
  15. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

I admire him and his supportive wife. I believe that the reason he is a great husband and father is because he's learned from the terrible past his foolish parents did to nearly kill their child. I think , from the bad experience, he will strongly avoid replicating the same mistakes of his parents of messing with meths and any substance for use and abuse. Kudos to him!