An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Update: Passing Legislation to Fight Heroin and Prescription Painkiller Addiction

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Deeishere, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

I received an e-mail from Senator Thom Tillis stating that congress passed the bipartisan Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act in March. This will allow agencies to receive money to help decrease the amount of heroin and pain medication abuse---especially the opioid epidemic in North Carolina and other states. So, it will be interesting to see what happens. I wonder will this actually help to decrease pain meds addiction or not.
  2. remnant

remnant Community Champion

They will have to have an innovative strategy because most of these medications are available through over the counter prescription. There are myriads of pharmacies and drug stores and numerous transactions take place. So enforcement of such regulations will be a Herculian task. I think they should first close the supply chains of the black market. The initiative is laudable but enforcement would be an onerous task.
  3. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

There have been numerous interventions to limit the abuse of the various addictive drugs. However, the rate of addiction incidences seems to be holding firm. The vast sums that are been generated from the illegal drug industry have motivated the distributors of these drugs to be ever developing creative ways and means to get people hooked. It's a very difficult task to prevent people from getting involved. I am waiting to see what new and effective methods they are going to try this time to minimize the problem.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think any initiative to prevent addiction is helpful. Having recovery programs that are well funded is a great idea. Still it's all up to each person to accept the treatment. This won't make addiction to pain medication disappear, but it's a step in the right direction.