An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Use Only Your Will Power To Beat an Addiction?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Slave and master is the relationship between an addict [the slave] and drugs [the master]. Using your willpower alone to fight an addiction might not yield the results you seek. You could say, "I won't drink again" but you find yourself drinking anyway.

It's not because you are weak it's just that . . . it doesn't take a moment to change. It takes about a month to form a new habit. So if you intend to overcome an addiction you have to be willing to acquire a different [more productive habit] to replace what you're trying to get rid of.

Thoughts?
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, yes. You actually have a point. Replacing your addiction with a more productive habit/activity could help you recover, but only go for activities that would make you a better person or wherein you could learn something new. But I think having the willpower alone could still greatly help you let go of your bad vices. If you have the determination, you will try to achieve anything you set your heart and mind to.
  3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that a big part of recovery is your willpower, without it, recovery would be something impossible... But I also agree with you, you need to be distracted with something a little bit more healthy such as finding a hobby or just be really interested about something, and as you've said is not easy to overcome an addiction, but I think that to overcome an addiction you need a mixture of willpower and finding something more productive.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't know many people that have succeeded with willpower alone. Don't get me wrong, I think willpower is a very necessary component in much of recovery, and just wanting to get on that road to beating addiction in the first place. But oftentimes I feel like there has to be some sort of other intervention. Counselling, a rehab program in place, some sort of patches or something (in the case of smoking, for instance)...willpower is great but for a lot of people the strength of it alone won't be enough.
  5. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

That's very difficult. I think that it is needed for love to indwell in them whether through faith in God or the help of family and having families close by to support. I don't think willpower is good enough because temptation goes against will, it is powerful against the will.
  6. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I don't think that anybody can give up just using willpower alone, however you do need it without a doubt, or you're never going to be able to succeed in giving up. You also need the help of your friends and family though, as they will definitely be able to help you through the difficult times. I find that the people who succeed the most are those that have positive people surrounding them. So yes, will power is important, but you can't rely on that alone.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I agree that it would take some time to finally kick the bad habit and that it requires action. Not just thinking or wanting to quit, but doing things to really quit. Although it is easier said than done, it is possible since I personally knew someone who kicked a bad habit with her will power.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, my biological dad managed to quit drinking right away. But he was forced to do that if he wanted to live... he had a very bad accident while he was really drunk. They thought he would die, but he didn't. Ever since he left the hospital he didn't dare to ever touch a drink again, even my mom felt amazed to see the kind of will power he possessed. She thinks I inherited that form him, at least I inherited something good from him. By the way, he replaced his alcohol addiction with gambling...
  9. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 Member

I might get hate for this, but I did use pure willpower to overcome addiction for the longest time. And it worked. I would think about, and want my fix, but I just said no, even though I had it openly available. Of course, that only worked for so long before I fell into another depression and reached out for my fix again.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Will power is needed to achieve any goal that you have in mind, so you are indeed required to adapt new habits to overcome your addiction. Being clean doesn't happen overnight, right?
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

My thoughts? What you presented makes sense.

Hated by? Not anyone here. We only know love and support here and that's what we will continue to offer to any here who might slip or fall.
  12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I think being able to replace your drug habit with something that is more healthy is a good idea. But from what I have heard, it can be dangerous trying to detox so will power alone may not be enough. I say you need all the support you can get.
  13. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

You could never be more right. There is so much power in our will. Our will determines what we do irrespective of challenges or constraints. I would also suggest that as one continues to speak affirmatively and positively into one's own life, when we disappoint ourselves, we should still arise again and try again.
  14. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

If you have a strong willpower, it would be very possible (not easy) to let go of your bad habits (not only drug addiction). It's good for you to have a distraction, but in the long run, a bigger part of your recovery will have a lot to do with your will power.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think the main part of recovery is willpower. Sadly, for many addicts, a lack of willpower is what got them into using the drug in the first place so to try and find it to stop is going to be a massive issue to overcome.