An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Used to smoke 2 packs a day. Went cold turkey and It's been 16 months.

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Fillit, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Fillit

Fillit Member

I smoked in between lectures, i smoked while waiting for a bus, i smoked while i drank beer with my buddies out in town, i smoked as i took out trash, i smoked while i waited for a kettle to boil, i smoked when i was bored, angry, happy or sad. I smoked all the freakin' time. And then... I stopped.

Why? It was a step that I've been meaning to take for a lot of years, a step which i took multiple times an stumbled. Quitting was a keystone for me in changing my life into a healthier one, into the one where i can run 5k in under 22 minutes without coughing out black soot out of my lungs.

It was a best choice I've ever made. What worked for me was not telling anyone about my plans to quit and resigning from all social activities for a month. It was hard. For weeks smoking was all that I could think about, i would suck on a straw an pretend i was smoking a cig, the whole ritual of rolling one up and lighting it was almost too much. I struggled to watch movies or tv series where characters smoked... and sometimes a whiff of a cigarette would sneak in from outside when my neighbor would light one up in the balcony. That smell... would drive me mad.

But i stuck to my guns, all these thoughts just showed how pathetic of a nicotine junkie I was, what it does with your thoughts, its just pure evil. I used this as a retrospective to motivate myself further... but in the end it wasn't motivation that did it, it was discipline.

Never felt better, and i hope i can help achieve the same for those who are in need.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there, @Fillit! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your success story to us here. Wow. I am really happy to know that you have now finally, and successfully overcame your smoking addiction. Kudos to you for a job well done! :) And yes, I agree with you about having discipline, and a lot of patience as well. Keep being an inspiration to other people. All the best to you! :)
    deanokat likes this.
  3. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Hey @Fillit, 16 months, huh? That's some serious time there. Very glad to hear you've made it this far. It shows some strength and dedication. The importance of discipline shines above all else when looking for long-term solutions.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Fantastic fillit! I admire that. I am glad you were able to quit cold turkey but not everyone is able to do that. It is great that you were able to find the stenght you needed to quit. Now you should be able to look forward to a much longer healthier and happier life. You are already reaping the benefits.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

Hi there! I am very pleased to read this. You have made a great accomplishment, and I am more than happy to tell you that I, along with everyone here, am congratulating you.
    I can imagine that was not a very easy task to do, especially when all of us know what addiction can be like, and how hard it is to get rid of it. I can also imagine you have gone through a lot of hard times, when you were easily tempted to take another smoke, but you did not.
    I wish more people were like you and you teach them a good lesson.
    Good job.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

That is awesome! Congratulations! That is a huge accomplishment. I can only imagine how much better you feel. Thanks for sharing this with us! Job well done!!
    deanokat likes this.
  7. dkelly

dkelly Active Contributor

I am so inspired by your post. I know people who are addicted to one thing or another feel pressured to quit immediately. People around them are also anxious for it to happen and that is where the pressure comes in although not on purpose. It is important to take it one step at a time until we get to where we want to reach. Kudos!
    deanokat likes this.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Fellit, you lit up my day. I love when I read stuff like this. It's a testimony of what can be accomplished with strength and determination. Three cheers and more. Keep pressing on my friend. Let's hope many more will accomplish what you have.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Fillit... Congratulations on being smoke free! That is fabulous! I quit smoking 25 years ago and still think it's one of the best things I've ever done in my life. Good for you for deciding to improve your life! Your story will inspire others, for sure!
  10. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Winterybella... I see what you did there. "Lit up my day." Verrrry clever. :)
    Winterybella likes this.
  11. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Thanks for posting, your history is really inspiring. And somehow I can relate, I've been trying to quit smoking a lot of times but I keep putting excuses to my self and then regretting my decisions... But it got serious since November 9, since that day I haven't smoked and it's pretty difficult, I suffer every time that I'm stressed and I see someone lighting a cigarette, and the smell is so deliciously disgusting... But I'm trying to control myself and I will make it :)
  12. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Thanks you for making me smile:). I've had a rough day. Fillit lit up my day and now you have added light to an otherwise dark day.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

That's so great. I know you can keep it up! Just stay focused on the goal and why you want to achieve it.
    deanokat likes this.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Thanks a lot for sharing your story, OP. I'm not a smoker myself, but my fiance is one and is having a really hard time trying to stop smoking :( It's very hard, I can only hope he will actually keep his promise soon.