An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Using for legitimate reasons

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by kcareconnections, Oct 24, 2014.

1. If someone is prescribed Xanax for legitimate reasons, can it be safe to use? Some doctors monitor well and others do not. Or is there a big risk for anyone to become addicted?
  2. sweetkymom

sweetkymom Member

If a person is prescribed Xanax for a REAL problem, it is ok to take, otherwise, hopefully, the doctor wouldn't have prescribed it. Taking the medication as directed and when needed, there should be no problem of getting addicted. Now, taking more then prescribed or more often, that can cause a problem. Addiction does not happen overnight or in a week.
  3. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

We want to be careful not to give any "medical advice" on this forum, since we are not this patients doctor. However, taking an RX under the guidelines given by a doctor is certainly the right thing to do. If you want to be safe let your doctor know your concerns, and make them aware that you'd like monitoring and guidance. That sounds like a safe bet to me.
    420nosmoke likes this.
  4. Thank for the replies. I just dislike taking medicines in general. When this was suggested to help treat me, I was nervous. But I am sure it will be okay as I always take things only as directed.
  5. I know you posted this a couple of days ago, but I wanted to add my $0.02 so you can hear it from someone who has been prescribed Xanax by a doctor.

I suffered from severe depression about 3-4 years ago and was given Xanax by my psychiatrist. Due to the obvious risk of addiction, I was only given one script to fill to get me through a tough couple of weeks.

I can't say if the drug helped my anxiety at the time, because I can't remember! I ended up stopping the medication after a couple of days because I was experiencing awful memory loss - I couldn't remember what I had done that morning, and even accepted a job offer over the phone and didn't remember doing so. Embarrassingly, I called the recruiter the next day to ask what the outcome of my interview was, which made for an awkward conversation!

So, my advice to you is to use Xanax with caution. You know your body better than anyone else; as soon as you start experiencing side-effects other than those common ones listed on the box, see your GP immediately. Start taking the medication in full knowledge that it is very addictive, and recognise the signs early so that you can stop before it's too late. Best of luck!
    Nick W. likes this.
  6. Nick W.

I agree, forewarned is forearmed and knowing how you're going to react, the possible side effects, and being in contact with your primary care provider is going to go a long way towards being successful with any kind of treatment. At the end of the day, if you're not comfortable, tell your doctor, say no, it's within your right.
  7. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

There is always the risk of getting addicted , but if one has been prescribed for, thay have to take it, knowing that there is a chance of getting addicted, so they should have that in mind and try to control it.
  8. Nick W.

I personally think that using a medication as prescribed by a doctor is OK. However, I think if you are an addict, or have addictive tendencies, it is probably smart to talk to your doctor ahead of time, and let them know, so that you can both work on things as a team.
  9. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

I was prescribed Xanax in conjunction with my anxiety and depression medication for occasional use. My doctor then increased my anxiety medication which caused a sharp increase in vocal and body tics that I have suffered from my entire life. I have an addiction to alcohol that I am being actively mindful about but I won't take the Xanax unless completely necessary. I don't want to end up with another addiction, but have serious need to find relief when tics get very bad. Anybody been in a similar situation?
  10. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

I don't see anything wrong with using it as prescribed for a problem. I think the risk of addiction starts with when you start wondering if you can take an extra one just for the feeling. Or if you start thinking about the medication outside of the prescribed dose. If it's a take it and forget it thing, I think you're okay, especially if you only take it when you REALLY need it.

I'm playing a similar game with my pain meds - enough to take the edge off but not enough to feel good. I've already stepped over the line into addiction. I crave them and imagine scenarios of what I would have to do to get stronger pills even though for now, these are doing the job. I want to take two when one would be mostly enough because just taking the edge off isn't the same as feeling good. I almost never take my Valium and even though that too can be addictive, I take it so rarely and only when the need is very high that I'm fairly sure I'm not addicted to those.
  11. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

When I think about how easy it is for a person to be addicted to Xanax, it worries me a lot. It makes me remember why I have my own dorm room in college right now, because I'm constantly terrified that I would have a roommate who would sneak into my medications and take them to get high off instead of their purpose, which is to make me feel physically somewhat normal.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Xanax, and other benzodiazepines are can be incredibly useful in certain situations. However, their reputation precedes them and most people view them with some degree of horror. As long as you stick to the doctor's guidelines and don't be tempted to take an extra tablet then you should be OK. Don't forget that you wouldn't have been prescribed them if the doctor didn't think you needed them.