An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Using hookas instead of cigarettes

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by FuZyOn, Apr 26, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I tried this and it really works for me. Hookas aren't really harmful and they are definitely a stress reliever, at least for me.
    A hooka can be a good replacement for cigarettes.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Just like I used food that is high in sugar content and spice content to replace cigarette, I found that there are ways to replace cigarette with less harmful substances. It also serves as a stress reliever for me at this point. If your goal is to quit smoking, then it is better than tobacco in my opinion. However, just like with food and snacks, moderation is always a good idea to practice and too much of everything can be a problem.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think many people turn to other bthings to try and suppress the cravings when giving up any substance. While replacing one addiction with another is never a good idea, some things are less harmful than others and it's whatever works best for the individual.
  4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Hookahs aren't safer than cigarettes by any means. In fact, overheating the hashish can release harmful chemicals that you breathe in all the same as with cigarettes. It's dangerous to assume that something is safer than something else, especially when it comes to cigarette alternatives. E-cigarettes that are overheated can deliver 15 times more formaldehyde than traditional cigarettes, too.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

You are wrong by saying that Hookahs are not really harmful. They are definitely, undoubtedly and unequivocally harmful to the health. Some studies have shown that people using Hookahs and smoking Sheesha are often inhaling the equivelant of up to twenty cigarette's worth of smoke all in one hit. There may be less (or no) nicotine or tar in Sheesha but smoke is still damaging and by using a Hookah you are increasing the volume of smoke by a large degree.
  6. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

I'm afraid, your information is wrong! Hookah is more dangerous than a cigarette. The input in a hookah is flavored tobacco, drawn through a water pipe, which does not filter the smoke at all. In fact, you inhale more toxic substances, and carcinogens. It's an Arabic practice basically and slowly proliferated to US, Europe, and Indian sub-continent.

You may go through the link below for the potential harmful effects of hookah

hookah
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Only a few days ago someone [not a smoker] asked me whether a hookah was better than cigarettes. We did some research and learned that hookahs actually are worse.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/quit-smoking/expert-answers/hookah/faq-20057920
    Not harmful? It's worse than cigarette smoking.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  8. henry

henry Community Champion

I'm thinking of giving those electronic cigarettes a try. I've heard they're pretty good. Hookas aren't much different, so I guess that could work as well. On another topic, I really hate seeing people that have never smoked in their lives, and used to bitch about you smoking, and saying cigarette smoke really bothers them, smoking a hooka in some bar. If you don't like smoke, you don't like any type of smoke, period. Goes to show what some people will do just to fit in and be part of the crowd. I hate fads.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I had a friend that tried to turn me onto a hooka pipe, and I flat out refused it. He made all sorts of reasons why it was better then cigarettes, but the bottom line is, I am not going to inhale any type of smoke into my lungs. I don't care what he said. I wasn't going to do it.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The fact remains, if your going to inhale anything into your lungs, then its going to have a negative effect on your body.

I think people are only fooling themselves when they say this or that isn't as bad as cigarettes.
  11. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I guess the question can be broken down in two parts: whether hookas are really less harmful than cigarettes and whether substituting cigarettes with less dangerous substances is a good idea. It is a good information that you guys provide about the dangers of hookas and the fact that it is worse than cigarettes.

However, about the second point, I would like to think that substituting less harmful substances for cigarette (like snacking to substitute cigarette for me) is on the line with the goal of quitting smoking.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I read something similar a while back, I don't think it was the same source there but I do remember reading that hookahs were worse for your health than cigarettes. I had tried hookahs before and always thought they were 'better for you' than cigarettes for the longest time. I think word needs to get out that this really isn't the case!
    Rainman likes this.
  13. miro1231

miro1231 Member

As far as I know, hookas aren't a generally good substitution to cigarettes. There are harmless tobaccos and there are harmfull ones. But if I smoke from a hookah, I tend to not be nicotine - fed, I'm just doing it for all the smoke hookahs produce, they're fun, but there is no real substituion to actual smoking for me.