An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Using Mindfulness?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by RoseK, Jan 1, 2015.

1. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

Anyone use cognitive therapy techniques such as mindfulness as a daily resource to stay sober? I came across the practice recently and involves being present and focused in the moment while performing daily tasks. For example, one of my old habits was to put a little liquor in my morning coffee every day. This morning, I went downstairs and my mind flipped automatically to reasons why it wouldn't hurt this morning to add a little something to celebrate the New Year. I acknowledged the thought and moved on to make coffee and clean the kitchen. This way I acknowledged the urge and then made an active choice knowing that my urge was just that..a feeling, a habit.

I recently downloaded a free app called "Healthy Habits" that provides several types of free resources about happiness, meditation, mindfulness, etc. that were written by a cognitive therapist. I've read a few articles on happiness and mindfulness and they are well written.
  2. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

In the end, its a way to distract yourself from your addiction. And distraction is the enemy of addiction.
    Staying focused on your present task let's you forget about the negative thoughts that emerge on your mind.
    So yes, I think this does help.
  3. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

It's whatever you [RoseK] believe is beneficial to you, can come true if you stick to believing it with laser focus. Thinking, planning, and then acting towards a goal seems impossible at first, but that's only because it hasn't happened yet. There are infinite ways, ideas, concepts, and systems to achieve a or any goal(s), what matters most is if one can clarify what one needs to change for, who may assist, when and where it will happen, how one will do it, and why does one wish to accomplish this goal - repeat and redo this with a adamant conviction, and always look for other to guide and help thee too. Planning and setting a goal is the easy part, keeping the rythmn or flow to be continual will be hard, because distractions and lack of inspiration can easily derail one from stopping their drug addiction.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree, I think trying to ignore that you have bad habits may work for a while but probably a more long term solution would be to know how to acknowledge and deal with it in daily life because urges will eventually pop up and having the tools to combat it instead of trying to wish it away will probably prove to be a lot more helpful.
  5. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

I've had plenty of practice dealing with "icky" emotions since I vastly cut down on my drinking. The funny thing is, a lot of the power is taken out of them once they are acknowledged and allowed to play out. At the end, I feel proud that I was able to handle these feelings instead of hiding from them.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I repeat the phrase "mind over matter" to myself when I have an urge. I tell myself that it is not my body that wants it, it is my mind, and that helps me out a lot.
  7. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

This was actually a very insightful post - you do have to remember that sobriety is all about making the choices daily that are best for your health - acknowledging your addiction is healthy - if you ignore it - you are ignoring the problem - and if you pretend like you do not have a problem you are likely to continue to make the same bad decisions day after day and never moving forward.
  8. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I think this is something everyone can benefit from doing. This " There are infinite ways, ideas, concepts, and systems to achieve a or any goal(s), what matters most is if one can clarify what one needs to change for, who may assist, when and where it will happen, how one will do it, and why does one wish to accomplish this goal " jumped out at me in regard to my current situation of feeling that I am "stuck" somewhere I do not want to be.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've been researching Mindfulness for a little while and from what I've read I got the impression that if applied practically [in the right way] it can help with combating ANY addiction.
    I haven't tried this method yet to fight an addiction that I'm yet to overcome but when I do and it works I'll recommend the method to everyone.
  10. fire421

fire421 Member

Meditation can definitely help. If you have the patience and concentration you can actually get high off meditation. The high actually feels on par with certain drugs.
  11. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

What resources have you researched? I would like to look into this possibility to utilize mindfulness to overcome cravings.
  12. juno

juno Community Champion

The practice of mindfulness is making great strides and it seems to be used in many areas of therapy, not just drug abuse. However, I think this method is for those who have bade strong strides and are on very recovered path. I'm a great believer in mindfulness, but it may be difficult to master when it comes to people with certain issues. I think it is great for mindful parenting and other areas.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

You could try the following sites. They have some great resources:

http://www.freemindfulness.org/download

http://palousemindfulness.com/selfguidedMBSR.html

The reason I recommend those two above is because they have virtually everything you need and it's all free. You could also learn a few things from other sites but they normally have only an article or two [which isn't very helpful] especially when you intend to comprehensively learn something.
  14. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

Thank you! Always open to learning new tools I can use to live..not just survive :)
    Rainman likes this.
  15. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

Mindfulness is helpful, but only if you are determined to stay sober. For example I'd find myself understanding why I wanted a drink and that would serve as an encouragement. Anyway, I just downloaded that app, great recommendation!
    RoseK likes this.
  16. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

Gathering resources is a step in the right direction...now the work it takes to form a new habit can be a bit harder :) My advice is to just keep showing up for whatever is helping you to recover, no matter how you feel about it.
  17. 003

003 Community Champion

Mind is stronger than your body, so you have to tame it first and make yourself to believe that you can do it, and your body will follow eventually. Sometimes your mind and your body might not be in agreement with each other, but if you have a strong belief of what you should and what you shouldn't, the sure, your mind is going to win. Meditation is also using your mind. There are really many things that you can use to improve yourself, but it has to make sense first with your mind. You just can't do things, for nothing. To make them really effective and to make them to work out, your mind has to validate it first that that's really the way.
  18. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

What is equally powerful is being aware of the choices you have, weighing each consequence, and then making the active choice to not give into urges. I am very proud of myself when I am able to not give in to something I used to rely upon daily.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Mindfulness for staying sober? Cognitive therapy is a form of psycho therapy. Behavior modification. Interesting, yes there are lots of schools of thought that this is similar to. Takes a little while to rewire the thoughts.
  20. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Seems like the method that you discovered is working nicely for you, so just keep it up! Acknowledging your cravings then proceeding to ignore it sounds like a good method, so if it works for you, then keep it up!