An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Using Mindfulness?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by RoseK, Jan 1, 2015.

1. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I believe that we really should be mindful when it comes to staying clean, and sober. Learn to fight your urges, and cravings by keeping yourself focused on your goal which is to continue walking the path towards recovery.
  2. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I do think mindfulness may help you because it will make you more aware and conscious of all that is going on around you. This is something you cannot enjoy if you are not sober.You now have the advantage of noticing things you never did before and this can be fascinating as well as satisfying. Enjoy being mindful. You may want to give up coffee and replace it with raw cocoa which has enormous health benefits. This change is an easy one, coming from someone who was addicted to coffee.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I really like the concept of mindfulness. That idea of being present in the moment to me is so important - don't worry about what's behind you, or the challenges you may face up ahead...just take it minute by minute if you need to! Otherwise it can seem like recovery is an insurmountable task.
  4. Ally

Ally Member

I think your method sounds beautiful. Taking control of your thoughts is an important practice for any one of us who wants to change our lives in any way. Mindfulness, I believe, will become an emerging method for many types of addictions and even illnesses, as it's being proven to actually change your physiology. Just go on PubMed, type in "mindfulness," and you'll find studies on it. I bet it was really empowering for you to realize that you had the ability to capture a thought and release it into the universe. You are not a slave to your cravings.