An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Using pets to help with rehab?

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by Carmilla, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

Have any of you used pets as healing partners? I know that my dog has helped me through many a struggle, being there for me and just listening when nobody else can.
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Yes, I have a gecko and it helped me get through my tough times. I just love nature. Also, plants help with this, as they tend to make you feel more relaxed. The color green is generally a relaxing one, and I recommend painting your walls in light green. It helps!
  3. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

This is a pretty innovative idea! Do you know, it was found in an experiment that dogs have the ability to identify a Diabetic individual, who is getting low on blood glucose levels and about to fall into a diabetic coma. They can listen to frequencies much higher than what we do. They can perceive a lot many things that humans can't decipher. A pet dog could be your life saver. It may be exaggerating, but true!
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Although I'm only a social drinker and have not really taken any substance to the point of addiction, I know for a fact that raising pets make you a happier person than most, regardless of what you're going through. They may not look it but pets are really emotive creatures. They can sense your emotions even from afar. What's most therapeutic about having pets is being able to cuddle them. It's not very reasonable but cuddling your pet has a healing effect.
  5. anne16

anne16 Active Contributor

Certainly!I do believe that pets help with rehabilitation. Having a pet means you are taking the responsibility of having one, to take care of it and to love. In turn, the pet makes you feel loved and cared for. More, they provide us with the mobility as they encourage us to have exercise when we walk them out.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I 100% believe pets help in situations like this. My dog is seriously one of my best friends, he just seems to "get" me...I imagine to people without pets that may sound a little crazy but honestly, sometimes I just chat to him about my worries or concerns and it helps to get them off my mind. Plus, a dog doesn't judge you for how you feel! They just love you unconditionally :)
  7. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

For sure! Pets are great. They make you a more responsible and capable person and can take up your time so you have no time for drugs/alcohol. Just having a pet fills you with joy and happiness. They make you feel occupied when nobody is around to help you. Animals don't care who you are and what you've done, they're always there for you whenever you need it. Some research studies have found that people who have a pet have healthier hearts, stay home sick less often, make fewer visits to the doctor, get more exercise, and are less depressed, which is stated in center4research.org :)
  8. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

Pets are a great way for rehab. Firstly, you have another companion that will be there for you. Secondly, the animals will take your mind off of your own worries and problems. A dog or a cat that cares for you can help you just as much as you help and take care of them. I would recommend getting a dog from the pound as they will be extra grateful and loving to you most of the time.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also find my pets as my great companions. Specially if you have no one to share your thoughts and your feeling. Pets can give a feeling that you are still with someone who loves you and willing to be there no matter what. :D
  10. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I haven't heard about this one before but I have heard of some stories where the pets seemed to know if the owner is troubled and they always rush to their side to provide comfort. I'm inclined to believe it's true because it's probably what they do for their fellow animals as well.
  11. mmalka

mmalka Member

Pets are going to be your best friend in getting through that and you need to stay on top for getting your progress done right. They always love you and never give up on you and that's what makes it special.
  12. Merricat

Merricat Member

I think a pet is a great idea to help you with whatever life struggles you're going through, be they with addiction or mental illness, but you need to make sure that you're in a healthy enough space to take care of them. I think adopting an older dog or cat is a much better idea than getting a puppy or kitten, while they're cute they take a lot of work that might be difficult for someone who is struggling to take care of themselves.

Also if you want to adopt a dog you should be realistic about future activity level as many breeds of dogs need lots of exercise in order to be healthy and happy. If you're struggling to get out of the house everyday then maybe look into adopting a dog who is happy to chill out on the couch with you. Rescue greyhounds are sweet little couch potatoes.
  13. jeremy2092

jeremy2092 Member

Yes, pets are a wonderful way to help in recovery. You need to be able to take care of the pet, though, so if you are not ready to handle those responsibilities, you shouldn't. With that being said, taking care of a pet will also give you a reason to get out of bed each morning.
  14. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

My dog understands me on a cellular level that no other human being will ever be able to comprehend, so yes. Pets are definitely an awesome factor whenever it comes to recovery.
  15. Matthodge1

They really do. Or they create new problems, like chewing up your shoes lol.
    pineywood and Winterybella like this.
  16. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

My cat has definitely been a major factor in getting me through tough times. When I’d have suicidal thoughts or something similar, I would always think to myself, “But who would take care of her?” And she always seems to know when I’m at my worst, she’ll be extra cuddly and personable. If you’re capable of handling the responsibilities that having a pet entails, I think they’re wonderful to aid in the healing process.
  17. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

It makes me very emotional every time I talk about it but yes. I've been taking care of a stray kitty I rescued and it has been a life changing, mind bending, emotional roller-coaster for me. It seems as if every time i feel sad kitty just calls out for me and I have to feed her or tend to her and it is a wonderful distraction really. Its important to keep the mind the busy so yeah.
  18. Matthodge1

While that is true, it is definitely still a pain in the butt to have to deal with for however long you have to deal with it.
  19. Matthodge1

I have a stray cat that I saved, too, and I totally understand what you are talking about. It is awesome whenever you get close to a cat because they are usually not the most trusting animals.
  20. Matthodge1

That's why I am glad that I have a dog that poops a lot. It keeps all of the plants at my house alive!