An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Using pets to help with rehab?

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by Carmilla, Apr 13, 2015.

1. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

What a wonderful outlook for such a dire situation. I applaud your patience. :p
  2. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I can relate to this with my recent addition. I am not dealing with any addictions but I am dealing with life and it's pressures and I feel like I have said it a hundred times over....my pets lift me up, they take me through many a rainy day. I was going to lament about the occasional pooping accidents in the house but I just learned it's good for the plants according to Matthodge1.
  3. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Oh, the pooping incidents that happen in the house are enough to make people have a stroke haha. I just know whenever my dog needs to go, and she has learned not to go in the house, so she knows when and where to go whenever she needs to.
  4. Matthodge1

Haha, I try to be an optimist whenever it comes to my pets. Also, I make sure my dog poops outside and not inside. That took awhile but we finally have a hang of it.
  5. Matthodge1

I've always thought that geckos were cool, but I never had one. How is that going?
  6. Winterybella

:):) Oh dear I misread you. The plants on the outside. :):) Well my older girls get a 98% for being well trained, but a little one that I recently took in would probably get 65% trained and I am being generous. She is stressing me out enough to really give me a stroke on the one hand and them making me smile on the other.

As for the geckos, consider me dead on their arrival...no kidding.
  7. Matthodge1

Haha, no, not the plants inside. That would be absolutely miserable. No no no no. Usually, dogs will grow out of the terrible potty stages. You still have to train them and whatnot, but usually they will understand where and where not to go to the bathroom.
  8. Winterybella

I clearly was not thinking to imagine a dog could be so "creative" for want of a better word. I am seeing some progress with Ginger, the new kid in town. I just feel like the mom who got a baby when two older children were in their teens. When she should looking over assignments and going to the games, she now has to be changing diapers.:(
  9. Matthodge1

Haha, no, dogs are not that creative, thank God. That would cause relentless problems that would be almost unsolvable. Ginger will probably be in that stage for awhile, and that's always how it is with new dogs haha.
    Winterybella likes this.
  10. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

lol I misread this, too!

I, like so many others, agree pets are a special addition to a household. I would caution (as mentioned by others, too) be prepared to invest your time into your pet. At the same time your rewards will be bountiful.
    Winterybella likes this.
  11. Matthodge1

Sorry for the misunderstanding @pineywood ! I didn't mean to type it like that.
  12. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

lol No. No apology needed. You did give me a good laugh. So for that, it is me who should be thanking you!

Speaking of laughter, this is another attribute pets bring into our home. I know, the times we have not had a pet in our home, it was like a void.
  13. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

This is such an underutilized but effective method on the road to recovery. As an animal lover, I've always kept pet dogs and cats around. When I was recovering through my drug addiction, spending time with my pets certainly aided the process. However, I wouldn't recommend just relying on our fury friends to get use through those challenging moments. It's still important to seek out professional help for better results.
  14. Kat Blaire

Kat Blaire Member

If you're a pet lover, this is actually very effective! I have two cats: one is a trained Persian and one is a stray feline. Just being with them both makes me feel a lot more at ease than when I'm with strangers from support groups. It just relaxes my mind to pet them. I do my best to take care of them and I think that has helped me become a responsible person. I also love the fact that my stray cat is totally untrained and has a tendency to pee anywhere. Call me crazy, but I find that entertaining. And it gives me some sort of determination to make sure that by the end of the year, my cute little stray cat would be just as trained as my Persian. Forgive me, I just really adore my pets. And I can totally say that taking care of pets really help with rehab.
  15. Matthodge1

Well, then I guess you are welcome haha!
  16. Winterybella

I will never stop talking about what great therapist my pets are. A day does not go by that one or all of my four don't make me smile. Recently, one of my dogs has been so attached like she never has been. I keep joking that she thinks she is human. I won't be surprise if I go to the bathroom and find she's beaten me to it.
  17. Matthodge1

That is so awesome! It's awesome to hear how loyal dogs are. What kind do you have?
  18. Matthodge1

That is so awesome! It's awesome to hear how loyal dogs are. What kind do you have?
  19. Winterybella

This one in question is a Jack Russell mixed with a mixed Chihuahua. A whole set of mixes. Her mom is one of the other three and she is the only one who survived the birth I witnessed. I lost two. A sad story of a time when I did not understand as much as I do now. Recently I took in one whose breed I do not know. The owner was quite careless letting the dog roam the neighborhood sleeping with whoever. Speaking of her elsewhere some suggest she is a Schnauzer mix but I have no clue. She is just a handful who even with her mischievous ways makes me laugh. Then there is the Queen of the Castle my Rottweiler. She is our protector. I have a house full of bitches.
  20. Matthodge1

I'm sorry for your losses. Losing and mourning a pet is one of the worst things in the world to do. Your dogs sound adorable, though. Would you care to post pictures?