An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Using pets to help with rehab?

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by Carmilla, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Thank you.
    20150329_151705_resized_4.jpg 20150613_175022_resized.jpg IMG_20140227_223355.jpg IMG_20150423_093118.jpg Reba, Zola, her mom Remy and Zola again with the latest family member Ginger. My therapists.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

This sounds perfect. I use to talk to my dog, but I cannot do this anymore. I do not have a dog, or a cat. It seems that everything or everyone I have ever loved seems to abandon me or get let out to pasture. I think it would be great to have another animal that no one will put out to pasture and let wonder the streets until found by another family to take it in. I think it might be helpful.
  3. Winterybella

Sbatz72, it's quite sad that everything or everyone you have ever loved abandoned you. Whatever happened to your dog? I lost my cat and it still hurts. Find another pet if your circumstances allow. Hold it dear to you and let no one take it away. Your life will be filled with unconditional love. Just choose wisely.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

I have several pets and a pig that I really love to hang out with. They are great and they will sit their and listen to all that I have to say and the most objection I get back is possibly a paw or a grunt towards me.
    Winterybella likes this.
  5. srofltank

srofltank Member

Pets are definitely a great way to improve your rehabilitation treatment. They are great companions (especially dogs) and despite what position you are in they're always there to keep your head up. Not only will they become companions for you, but they'll also keep your mind off of things. Just make sure you have the responsibility to take care of them.
  6. Winterybella

How timely. I am not dealing with an addiction but I am dealing with other things that leave me drained and sad at times. Through it all my dogs are by my side. As I type I am surrounded by them all. One is calling for my undivided attention. I will never stop recommending pets for anyone dealing addiction or most any other issue.
  7. kokosflocken

kokosflocken Member

I have! my cat is a real companion. People say that cats are not as trusting or affectionate as dogs, but they just have their own way of expressing it. And they are always there for you when you need them, whether it is to listen to you or just be around. Another thing is the touching (or cuddling). it is very soothing to have a pet to touch.
  8. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

Hi! I most definitely have and still use my Rottweiler to get me through things. He is actually a service dig I received from the VA. Relevant since my dog is specially trained, be knows when to comfort me, give me space, get me active etc.

Without him, I don't know where I'd be today. In the beginning of my recovery process he was a catalyst in curtailing my cravings to drink. He comforted me when he knew I was down abd no humans were to be found.

In all I think pets are great therapy. I also have a conure but she's a buyer, but still a great joy to have around. I recommend everyone to get a pet. They are literal life savers!
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think pets can be so calming. I have a cat and he calms me, and I calm him. We are each other's mutal supporters. I think those who like animals could benefit a lot from pet therapy. Maybe some of the rehab facilities should incorporate pets into their practice.
  10. lilfaerie28

lilfaerie28 Active Contributor

That is awesome! I never thought about how much a pet could help get through the tough times, but that is a great idea. I love my puppies and couldn't have made it through life without them. My kids are also a big motivator.
  11. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

The responses in this thread are not surprising at all. A pet is just another form of companionship, and companionship is key to fighting so many problems.

Man, pets can do anything and everything. It's been too long since I had one. I need to buy a hamster or something.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I just can't wait to get my own aquarium. I had one when I was younger, and you guys have no idea how relaxed that aquarium made me feel. I only hope I am better at taking care of my fish this time around. Pets can help greatly, but sometimes is not a good idea to have one, specially if you are just recovering from addiction. Better wait until you are more stable, maybe after one or two years... animals shouldn't have to suffer. When dealing with addiction it's hard to take care of another living being.