An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Vaping marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Joethefirst, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Is there such a thing?
    I have never heard of it but I wouldn't be surprised if the invented it.
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, there is such a thing as vaping, or vaporizing, marijuana. It seems to be a more popular method in the US and is believed to be less damaging than smoking it. Willie Nelson is a well known marijuana user who has recently switched to vaping, believing it to be a less harmful option. Many other substances, such as Speed or Mephedrone, can also be vaped.
  3. Joethefirst

Thanks, I didn't know it existed. So does it have the same effect as smoking regular marijuana or does it have less potency?
  4. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I have heard the kids talk about this one so I can chime in.
    I guess it's essentially the same idea as this new nicotine vaping craze.
    It uses a hot element (think like an electric kitchen range) to super heat the dope and you get less "smoke" but the same amount of THC.for vaping.
    They say it's a "safer smoke." I told them "safer smoke" is an oxymoron.
    morgoodie likes this.
  5. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Vароrizing оr ‘vарing’ invоlvеs рlасing rаw саnnаbis оr THС оil in а реn оr рlug-in dеviсе.Thе саnnаbis оr оil is thеn hеаtеd tо а tеmреrаturе сооlеr thаn thе роint оf соmbustiоn аnd turns thе рrоduсt intо а vароr. This mеаns thе usеr dоеsn’t inhаlе smоkе, but vароr instеаd.Аnything thаt lights thе рlаnt оn firе сrеаtеs rеsрirаtоry irritаnts.Sо by using а vароrizеr, соnsumеrs аrе аblе tо аvоid inhаling thе hаrmful by-рrоduсts usuаlly fоund in саnnаbis smоkе
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Jack Wallace's description above is correct. I don't know if the potency is affected, although I doubt it makes much difference. I also expect it's done to smoke pure forms of marijuana and not mixed with tobacco like in a joint.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

People have been doing that for a while. It's supposed to be healthier than smoking it. This is really nothing new. Some people prefer vaping because they get more THC from it.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It's new way to smoke it and conceal it. we should never say that its healthier and safer. It should be said that it is less harmful but still bad for you. By using healthy and safer that implies that there is good that comes out of casual smoking.
  9. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I have heard of vaping tobacco, but never marijuana. Its a good way to hide it and an even better way to keep it with you. Its quite a shame because it does provide convenience and a good advantage to those who need marijuana for medical purposes, but its bad in the sense that addicts can now use it more easily, especially in public, and more often. Vaping is supposed to be the healthier alternative to smoking, but with things like this, its taking a turn for the worse for certain people.
  10. Joethefirst

That's what I was thinking, since it looks the same as vaping other vaping products, someone could be vaping marijuana in public and no one would be the wiser.
  11. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I guess it is true that you learn something new everyday. I had not heard about this method before but it makes sense since many people are on the vaping craze for nicotine. I agree that it is a way to conceal it and people would not know that you are using marijuana instead. That just opens up a whole new world for some people.
  12. Joethefirst

Yes and I think it's safer then consuming it in the more traditional form, after all you don't get exposed to the smoke just the vapor.
  13. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Well, I don't see many people vaping anything in public, because around here, most places forbid it just like cigarettes. I also think there would be a telltale odor, would there not?

For medical use, it may prove to be less unhealthy than smoking. If you can get the medicinal effects without all the carcinogens that would seem to be a good thing.

As for "safer smoke" ... there is no smoke involved. Still, I think we're at the point where not enough is known about the long term effects of vaping, to straight up claim it's "healthier." I feel like overall it is a better option (I quit smoking cigarettes with vaping and I feel better), but time will tell how "healthy" it actually is.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Yeah, I have heard about vaping it, but I never tried it. Mostly because marijuana has never done a thing to me. I tried it again 2 years ago... my fiance was high as a kite, but not me. Bleh, I am glad, is not like I need a replacement addiction :)