An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Veterans: Did your quit stay after boot camp?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by BrandonA, Oct 10, 2015.

1. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

I've heard from a number of friends that basic training is the best quitting program out there. Not only do you have no access to cigarettes, but you're so busy and pumped with adrenaline that you don't notice the withdrawal as much. (You're also, for probably the first time in your life, drinking the recommended amount of water every day.)

My question is, did it work? Once boot camp ended and you shipped off to your job school or your first post, how easy was it to stay quit? Did you go right back, or were you able to stay off?
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'd imagine that the first thing a person would want to do when they got out if there would be to smoke, because they now can. Boot camps take away a lot of a persons rights as long as they're in there, smoking being one if them, so it's not as if a person wants to quit, it's because they're made to.

When they get out, even though they may not want a cigarette, they'll have one anyway, just because they can.
  3. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

Some do, some don't. I had brother soldiers who jumped right back into a lot of old habits (and even some new ones) to celebrate their independence from tech school, but I also had some friends who went "Wow, that was basically a quitting program without the in-your-face withdrawal! Hot dog, I ain't goin' back again."