An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Vicodin Withdrawl Symptoms

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by melody, Feb 1, 2016.

1. melody

melody Active Contributor

I think that my father is going through Vicodin Withdrawl. The laws have changed, and now the doctors won't give him Vicodin, even though there is nothing they can do to help his pain. He has been really short tempered and fidgets a lot. He always seems to be looking for an escae route, because he has been getting in fights with members of the family. What are other signs of Vicodin Withdrawl, how long will this take?
  2. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

Does he have to quit cold-turkey or did they decrease his dosage? I am not sure how long it takes for the symptoms to go away, but there are treatment programs that can help him. I had a co-worker who had to go into treatment. She did quite well afterwards. Some of the programs will offer some type of drug to help alleviate the withdrawal symptoms. I hope for the best for dad.
  3. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Generally,withdrawal symptoms vary across the whole spectra of drugs but within narrow limits. So it is not easy to narrow on drug specific cases. I really sympathise with your fathers' plight. I think he requires to be weaned off Vicodin gradually then changing to less potent pain relievers. Medical intervention is needed for proper monitoring. Chronic pain can be managed just like diabetes and high blood pressure. This will enable him to live a reasonably comfortable life.
  4. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Mоst individuаls whо аrе рrеsсribеd Viсоdin tо mаnаgе а раin-rеlаtеd соnditiоn tаkе thе drug аs rесоmmеndеd by thе рhysiсiаn, usе it fоr thе durаtiоn it wаs intеndеd, thеn stор tаking thе Viсоdin whеn thе соursе оf trеаtmеnt is оvеr. Sоmе individuаls, hоwеvеr, dо nоt. Thеsе individuаls соmе tо еnjоy thе fееlings оf hаррinеss аnd wеll-bеing рrоvidеd by nаrсоtiсs аnd оftеn bеgin tо аbusе thеsе drugs.

Рrеsсribеd in рill fоrm tо bе tаkеn by mоuth, реорlе whо bесоmе аddiсtеd tо Viсоdin mаy сrush thе drug аnd snоrt it, сhеw it, оr dissоlvе it in wаtеr tо bе аblе tо injесt it tо рrоduсе а mоrе intеnsе rush оf рlеаsurе. In аdditiоn, mаny реорlе whо аbusе Viсоdin will usе оthеr drugs аs wеll, lеаding tо роtеntiаlly sеriоus соnsеquеnсеs.