An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Video Evidence?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A number of alcoholics do a lot of things when they are drunk and conveniently forget them the next day. And because they don't know or pretend not to know what they do when intoxicated they have an excuse to continue using drugs.

Do you think recording what a drunk person does and confronting them with the evidence the next day might be good enough to convince him to stop using alcohol?

Thoughts?
  2. Kyler

Kyler Active Contributor

I personally don't think that method works because they're not going to be that caring about what they do when they're drunk. It might work for others but I think in my experience, mainly not. Some are aware of the consequences, they just don't admit it because if they do, they might not feel good. If a perosn comes up with excuses to avoid guilt, they would come up with it no matter what. The true change of mind happens within after being affected by a certain event or by the environment they're in, so in short, I don't think it helps as much. However, if you think it might help, try it, I can't say for that particular person.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, it didn't work on me. I remember that a friend of mine recorded me drunk once. He did it because his sister liked me, and he didn't want her having to anything to do with me, so he recorded me drunk with his phone and showed it to her. It seemed to work, because she never looked at me again. When I saw the video, I did feel a bit embarrassed, but I soon forgot about it and kept on drinking.
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I think that will be a good idea for people who have a conscience to judge them; it would be very embarrassing but they need to know how humiliating it is. This should put the drunk in check and teach him to have just enough and not too much alcohol.

@henry You really are funny; how could you forget how you were setup. I guess you have a free spirit and not held down by anything or anyone.
  5. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I don't think that that would work. I mean, the person might get embarrassed for the stupid acts that he committed while drunk, but I don't think that a video evidence is enough of a reason for them to quit. I remember when I was young, I taped my dad's ramblings while he was drunk. (For those who are not familiar with cassette tapes, just Google it. HE!HE!). Then I played the tape for him when he was sober. He denied that it was him! He denied it vehemently. He also said that he doesn't remember saying all those stupid things. Then, he went drinking again.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have thought of doing that with my husband. Whenever he is mean to me or verbally abusive he tells me that the doesn't remember anything. Last weekend I got called names I have never been called in my entire life. It was just awful. I cringe when I think of it.
  7. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Hi @L_B. I'm so sorry to hear about that. I don't mean to pry but, has this been going on for a long time? I think that your husband needs to go see a professional. He really should seek help. And you too. I'm just worried that his behavior might escalate from bad to worse.
  8. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

In my opinion, it might not make them quit, but if it's bad enough, i.e they are hitting someone or being abusive, then it might drive them to quit, especially if they can't recall the fact that they acted that way while drunk. It's a measure worth taking if you want that individual to quit, or at least to help them.

My mother used to get epileptic seizures and she couldn't recall what she did during them, so I filmed it and showed it to her, just to let her know of what's happening. It helped her realize the extent of the condition she had, not that we could do anything about it, but it's good to let them know.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it would really make them aware of what they look like. I don't know if this will make them stop drinking or using drugs, but it will make them realize how dumb they might look. If someone is doing something illegal and a person records it while there high it could be used against them. If a person gets so out of it they can't remember what they did they should quit drinking or doing drugs.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It might or might not works, but it really depends on the person you are dealing with. Sometimes doing this kind of things can actually make things worse, sometimes it's an eye opener, but it really depends on the person. I'd personally only do this if I knew the person well, and if I were very sure the person is not the kind of person who would take something like this very wrong.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

Never thought about that, but, yes, maybe I am a free spirit. I don't really care what anybody thinks about me, be it good or bad. I've always thought that living up to the expectations of others is like wearing a ball and chain around your neck. When I do something, it's because I thought about it and decided to do it, not because someone else thought about it and decided for me.