An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Video games and staying sober

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by fagoot1, Apr 12, 2015.

1. fagoot1

fagoot1 Member

Ever since I stopped using, I got back to what I like the most, video games.
    I'm finding that playing an online game completely takes over my free time and I'm not even thinking about using.
    What about you? do you have a similar experience?
  2. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

For me it was movies, for a while. That got to where it wasn't quite enough, though. I got to where I had to keep my hands busy while I watch the movies lol
  3. fagoot1

fagoot1 Member

Hahah, I'm glad that I both my hands are occupied while playing video games
  4. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

Lol, definitely a good call on your part. Now I'm either knitting or on the iPod and the movie has been turned into just background noise.
  5. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

Yeah, video games require a bit more interaction than movies. I haven't tried it personally, but I'll see if it works out. It sounds like a fantastic idea as it not only engages your brain but also your hands. Maybe a super long game of Civilization V will do the trick.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Yeah, sometimes. Video games and reading helped filling the void I was feeling when I was recovering.
    It's good so find something to do while you're trying to recover. It can help immensely in the process and you may be able to even develop new hobbies or relationships. It's all worth it!
  7. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I can definitely relate to that. Gosh, I can't believe how frustratingly addictive those games can be. I sometimes wonder which is worse - being a drug addict or a hardcore gamer. Joking aside, playing video games can really take up a good portion of your day. I've encountered this countless of times while playing Tomb Raider, Call of Duty or FIFA for weeks, even months on end until I completed certain tasks in the games. Ugh, especially the latter - I couldn't go to bed having lost the last game so I would always tell myself I'd hit the sack if and only if I won at least one game before that. That sounds pathetic but hey, it kept me off bad habits and dark alleys.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I play videogames once in a while just to relax and unwind from the demands/stresses of work, but it's mostly for recreational. I am more into watching movies and television shows. I also love reading books so much, and literature helps me a lot to focus and be motivated.
  9. BobPopporro

BobPopporro Active Contributor

sometimes, when i have a full day on my hand, i turned to video games just to ignore the crave of alcohol in my system.
  10. fagoot1

fagoot1 Member

Wow, that's happens to me quite often, and It's either I win that game and I'd still not go to be or not win that game and rage quit when I can't raise my head from sleepiness :p. All in all, it's way better than drug addiction .
  11. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

It's better than drug addiction, that is true, but it's an addiction too. Sure, go step by step, replacing drugs by gaming can be something great to start with.
    Charli likes this.
  12. fagoot1

fagoot1 Member

Yes I agree with that. I'm finding that I'm equally as addicted to video games but eventually I'll completely get over drugs and start to do some productive hobby in my spare time.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yeah it really doesn't fix too much if you allow it to become a substitute obsession, and it's why I'm a believer that it's much better to fix the mind rather than trying to put the blame on whatever it is the person is obsessing over at one point or another.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I get do that as well. Video games takes me away from the real world. An escape. I played video games since I was little. Playing video games again takes me to a place where it was peaceful and a place where I didn't do any drugs. Video games are the best.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

After quitting I became more and more passionate about music. I'm listening to music almost all day long, and while I'm not doing so I'm playing the guitar! I just love it, it's so beautiful and perfect.
  16. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Isn't it amazing that after you have quit using, all of a sudden you have so much time on your hands. I'm an avid gamer myself. No one understands it but video games takes me away from the stress of everyday life and I foucus at the task at hand. Substances takes you to places where you forget. Well video games does the same thing but it's not hurting me. It takes me away to better time and place.
  17. mmalka

mmalka Member

Whatever you can find that can make you more passionate about being better you should take a chance, movies and video games are an easy one since they aren't that hard to get. Possibly meeting someone and watching movies and playing video games can do the trick also.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

For the meantime, while you're trying to get rid of your substance abuse tendencies by doing something else, then you can continue playing video games. This will not be healthy for you in the long run, though. You have to find a more productive activity and normalize your life.
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is a good thing to be busy with other things than get busy on using those illegal substances. :)
    I can see some folks on here who got really hooked on playing games and I think that is just okay. As long as one will not be addicted to it already and have a very stagnant lifestyle.
  20. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Video games can be relaxing in that they allow your mind to go to a totally different place, away from the addiction temptations for a while. Movies, reading books, and exercise can also have the same effect. Keeping your brain focused on something other than the addiction is a smart idea to avoid temptation.