An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Video games and staying sober

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by fagoot1, Apr 12, 2015.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think video games have always been a good and pleasant distraction both for gamers and addicts alike, so it's good to know that you're using video games to wean yourself off the drugs. It's better to play than use drugs, don't you think?
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When recovering from an addiction, people will often find that they have a lot more spare time on their hands than before.

Its important to fill this time with new hobbies or, like the OP said, an old hobby they'd forgotten about.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm not really into video gaming myself, but my husband is and definitely turns to it in times of stress to have a bit of a break/breather from that stress. It's a good thing for him - I can understand why it would help those with addiction to keep their minds off substance use.
  4. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

This is great! I'm glad that you've found something that makes you feel better. I'm not a video games fan, because I'm really bad at it, but I've heard of a couple of people who video games help them to distract themselves of all the stress and bad situations that they are going through, and I think that's pretty awesome.
  5. OriMerchan

OriMerchan Member

It is good to clear your mind with video games or any other activity! But try not only to stay with that because it is good to go out with friends or doing other things that just one! Also video games work for relaxing and having a good time but sometimes it takes away time off work or anything else. So in my opinion it is always better to have more than one distraction.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

On the flip side, video games can be addictive as well, don't you think? Everything in moderation. :)
  7. lower

lower Member

yeah, same for me with video games. they really helped me and distract my mind. I've tried different video games but the one that helped me the most was gta 5 because of the fact that you don't just play this gam as a watcher of a story, you are the story. You take part in it and make decisions that can change the game for you. I even downloaded it on my mobile from this site https://gta5mobile.club/ so I can play it on my free time at job. I guess that's a great distraction.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  8. Bembry

Bembry Member

thanks for the info!