An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Video Games

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by JoshPosh, Dec 31, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I haven't had any alcohol for 4 weeks now. I wanted to stop for awhile now but whenever I get bored I would slip back into the bottle again. I needed something to do in my spare time.

I took the time to think about my childhood and what kept me straight. Back in the day the only thing that kept at home and away from peer pressure was playing video games. Sure I could be reading a book, but I found that boring as well. Video games always entertained me and kept me entertained.

So for the past month or so I have been immersing myself in video games again. Guess what? I haven't had a drink in a month. So yes, video games can keep me entertained and away from alcohol. So it does work.
  2. danzig

danzig Member

Great work! That was a very important step in the right direction. You were able to channel your boredom into something that is not destructive or detrimental to your own health. It's funny you mention video games as that is exactly what helped one of my cousins overcome his addiction to prescription medication. Keep up the good work!
  3. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

This is actually a very legit strategy. It isn't really hard, since video games occupy your mind to a greater extent than the usual means of distraction. Play games that require you to concentrate. And good luck in your endeavour. :)
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Playing video games can be a great way to escape reality for a little while and keep your mind off alcohol for some time. Of course you may end up being addicted to video games eventually but if it helps you stay off alcohol then I guess it could also work for others who drink only when they are bored.
  5. Cryyo

Cryyo Member

For me, I always drink when I play video games on my computer. It's like a habit at this point, almost a trigger. It's a shame because it is by far my favorite pass time, but I think I will have to give it up if I ever want to get better again.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

You definitely ought to stop playing video games whilst you combat your addiction. Or if it's a trigger by association [you have to drink something whilst playing the games] then you could try to replace alcohol with some other healthy beverage. I don't know if that can work but it's worth trying everything since I know how addictive video games can be and fighting two addictions at once might be quite hard.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Video games, thats funny. I never thought of that one. It is good to figure out something to replace the situation you need to kick. Exercise, lifting weights, music, art, hobbies, or different things like this. Anything physical or mental is going to be good. Something that requires all of your attention.
  8. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

Good job! Video games always kept me distracted. When I was younger I would play video games for hours on end. It was possible for me to go the whole day without eating if I was playing a game that REALLY had my attention. I think it's a good strategy, and I'm so happy to hear that you found refuge in video games.
  9. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Cool motivational story Joshposh, thanks for the share! Addiction is simply the act of giving or delivering to whatever one wishes to do, which the best way to counter a habit is to begin and practice a new habit to replace the old one that was less beneficial. I play video games, not only as entertainment, but to get my mind off involving myself with drugs too. The best games I play to set my mind off my own addiction to drinking ethanol beverages are open-world games where I interact with other humans playing online, thus I don't have to go out with people to places where I will give in to doing drugs. So yes, playing video games is a good "start" to not do drugs, but it isn't a long-term practice to stop one's addiction to drugs.
  10. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

Hobbies are always one of the best ideas. Games area good choice because most of them are completely immersive and take your full attention. For me, it is better to do things outside the home, and if you have a desk or low calorie type of job, and activity or hobby that gets you moving also helps.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Whenever I tell my son he's playing too many video games he tells me I should be glad it's video games and not drugs or alcohol. While I am glad he doesn't have a problem with these things, I still can't help but be concern about the games as I know they can be addictive as well. Recently I saw him playing some that are quite violent and I have read of the harm these games can cause.

I trust Josh will be able to manage his situation in a balance way and remain safe from either addiction.
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've been doing this too and I agree it helps you keep focused on something enough to forget about some of your other bad or worse habits. I find that whenever I am immersed in playing video games I totally forget about smoking cigarettes for that time and I end up smoking only a few sticks that day but of course the downside is that I spend a lot of my time just playing games which I guess is still alright as long as I keep doing my responsibilities alongside it.
  13. d4rk3n

Violent video games, don't actually have an impact on real life violence. I have read about it on the internet.
    Even if it did, your son is quite smart. He shouldn't be affected by it.
  14. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

D4rk3n, you are correct. I do have a smart young man but I still worry at times. You see, I've read quite the opposite. I have read that exposure to an excessive amount of violent games can very well impact on a person's behavior in a negative way . As with most things I reckon there can be arguments for and against it's affects.

http://www.pamf.org/parenting-teens/general/media-web/violentgames.html
  15. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

That is great JoshPosh that you found something to keep you occupied and focused on that helps you. I can see how this would work, besides having your hands occupied with the controller ( not time to be bending the elbow with drink in hand) I think good hand /eye coordination is needed to play video games..or at least play them well. Playing MC is my go to game when I need to "destress"
  16. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

It makes a lot of sense - while many would say that this is not a productive use of time- video games stimulate the mind promote creativity and problem solving - and they can serve as a definite distraction from substance abuse. Best of luck to you in your recovery.
  17. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Contributor

I certainly agree with you.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I won't say it's the best method available but better that than risk being an alcoholic again. Of course, video games are a great source of entertainment. They also improve your mental abilities as most games involve strategic planning to beat the boss. Don't overdo it, however. Immersing without impairing your day-to-day life is good as it is.
  19. d4rk3n

Yeah. As good as it may be, we should remember that "Too much of anything is harmful".
  20. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Good for you! Video games, books, yoga, it doesn't matter. Everyone is different and it is essential to find what is best for you. Video games are loads of fun, and it helps fight your addiction. It's killing two birds with one stone!