New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Violent patients

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by remnant, Apr 14, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I have had an occasion to go to a rehab several times to visit my brother. I can even call it a mental asylum. I found that some patients get violent and have to be restrained in a strongroom. Once, I found my brother fighting with another recovering addict. What causes some patients to be violent?
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I am sure it is the frustration of being unable to feed their addiction that causes the aggression and violence. Once the substances wear off from their body system, they become normal again.
  3. I definitely would have to agree with @darkrebelchild . Most recovering addicts are frustrated dealing with the new changes that are taking place in their lives. It could be the rehab process, dealing with family or relationship stress, or in some cases even money to get a pack of cigarette. Things tend to slow down the longer they are in rehab. So, if someone was once your enemy, they just might turn into a very supporting friend when its all said and done.
  4. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Violence can have many root causes, but it is also triggered by specific circumstances in some people too. Being in rehab can sometimes be like a perfect storm when it comes to these triggering events, so don't be surprised to see elevated instances of physical altercations whilst in a rehab setting. I just hope your brother comes out of it unscathed.
  5. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

Having been in rehab myself for 30 days I've never seen violent behaviour in the centre i was in I've seen anger fear and sadness. But I've heard plenty stories about other center's where violence was an issue so I decided to look at the reasons and what I discovered was that the center's that require you to detox before admission were less likely to be violent enviroments also I discovered that the centers that took on small group's of between 10 to 15 people at a time were less likely to be violent groups. And crucially the more peaceful rehab center's were staffed by people who were in long term recovery and know exactly how to deal with newcomers. It's my own personal opinion that detox and rehabilitation should be kept separate. It's in the detox stage that violent behaviour tends to surface purely because the substances are not available. And like a child who's soother is taken away they will kick and scream until they get used to the idea of not having a soother and they start growing up as normal after a period of time .it's meerly an observation which may be useful to administrators of rehab center's which are experiencing high levels of violence. Detox first for as long as it takes then into rehab. You can't do detox and rehab at the same time it's like going to physio while the bone is still broken