An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Virgin cocktails

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rosyrain, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am not a shot taker or a beer drinker, and really will not drink an alcoholic beverage unless I like the taste of it. There are some alcoholic drinks I really love the taste of, such as raspberry margaritas, but I am not even sure if I have to have the booze in it to make it tasty. Have you tried to quit drinking by just having non alcoholic cocktails, and did it work?
  2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I had my first beer and I was not happy about it. I had talked to person next to me during that time and he was saying that Budweiser works for him. Although some people can drink hard liquor which I am not someone who drinks that stuff. I do not feel that I would like to drink more since that experience.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a lot of people turn to non alcoholic beers as a substitute when they want to cut down on drinking. While this is obviously a good thing, I don't think this will work for everybody. Sometimes people will drink for the effect, and not necessarily just for how it tastes.
  4. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I've tried virgin cocktails before. It didn't really stop the craving to have a few shots or a few beers later in the night. It did taste good though. But it's not really a substitute for drinking for me. Maybe would be a substitute for people who drink for different reasons.
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

So, your reckoning is to attempt ceasing our bad habits by prolonging the agony with lesser alcoholic drinks? That doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but again if you mention it there have probably been successful reports of it. Like I said in another thread, do whatever it takes to give up your habits... even if that implies unconventional ways.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's probably a great idea for some people, but in no way would it be a good way for a hardened alcoholic to quit. If you are the designated driver or are on a diet plan though, these drinks would be great, I'm sure.
  7. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I can’t really see it curbing cravings for some people, but it may work if one’s drinking is more of a habit than a full-on addiction. I always found non-alcoholic cocktails more pleasant to drink than alcoholic cocktails myself, and I was more in the habit category.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Nope. Where I'm from guys drink beer or hard liquor. If you drank that mix drink stuff you weren't really a man and would not hear the end of it. Only girls drank that stuff.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Occasionally nowadays I do have non alcoholic cocktails because they just taste good. But to me, for my recovery process at the start, if I was drinking those drinks I think it would have just made me crave alcohol in them more. I really just had to step away from anything that was either alcohol based or masquerading as something 'like' alcohol if that makes sense. The whole idea that they are called virgin cocktails or non alcoholic cocktails still incorporates the idea of cocktails, which makes me associate alcohol. Whatever works for people though is good - I'm sure this approach does work for many people out there!
  10. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I, too, associate alcohol with all of those cocktails and wouldn't be able to drink them without making that association. I've reached a point in my recovery where I can have a drink here and there and not have a problem with it but I don't think I could drink a virgin cocktail to quit... I just had to quit. Willpower.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Those non-alcoholic drinks like the wanna be beers and so forth are more than likely not good for you either. Water is your best bet. Add lemon or something. The companies that make beer that contains the nastiest things; why would you want to drink their non-alcoholic product? I am sure they slip some junk in there too.
  12. panda

panda Member

If you're super addicted to beer, virgin cocktails won't help. They taste good but they don't stop the cravings.
  13. mgvni

mgvni Member

In my opinion drinking any sort of non-alcoholic substitute just makes me crave alcohol more. Its not the taste of alcohol that I miss, but the effect it has on me and simply getting the taste without the effect could usually drive me over the edge. I personally am better off sipping seltzer water or avoiding bars in the first place!
  14. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

I have tried a few virgin cocktails and I would say they are good for the designated driver. They taste ok but since I find these well drinks to be pricey at times, I would rather continue to drink responsibly having a cold beer.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I guess the Virgin drinks as a way to cut down would only work for those who drink for the taste of the beverage. Some people drink to get drunk and that is where the problem would be. I like to substitute a fresh cup of coffee for an alcoholic drink because given the choice, I could not live without my coffee.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have tried drinking a "punch" before and it just taste like some kind of juice that I also did not like. I am not really a drinker and just tasted some alcoholic drinks just to have idea on what are the taste of those drinks. I have tasted beer, some hard drinks and wines.
  17. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I don't see the value in them. I don't feel the need to emulate an alcohol beverage. I drink to remain hydrated and if it isn't water it is just to keep me from being bored with it. I know that most people don't see it this way, but I do. I don't need all the added calories and sugar that can end up in virgin cocktails either.
  18. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I used to have these all the time growing up. When we would go to a restaurant and have a drink. I would ask for a Shirley Temple. Of course, there are so many more varieties anymore, and I tend to order virgin cocktails over anything else. Then of course I see the stares from other women at the table, maybe she is pregnant silently said across the room.
  19. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have never had a virgin cocktail. If I am not going to be drinking alcohol cocktails the. I would just as soon have a nice, refreshing call of ice water. It is a preference thing. I have never been big on cocktails anyway. If I drink I usually drink beer and non alcohol beer is just nasty tasting.
  20. Marie92

Marie92 Active Contributor

No, I am not a huge drinker, but I love virgin daiquiri's. Whenever I order one, it has to be virgin. I love the taste. It is so sweet. I love sweet drinks, so I am fine without the alcohol.