An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

vitamin and Supplement therapy

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kgord, Sep 28, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

What sorts of vitamins and supplements are helpful toward maintaining sobriety? Is there anything you have taken that has given you the type of help you feel you need in order to maintain sobriety.?St Johns Wart can help with depression, and Valerian can help with relaxation. Furthermore addiction in terms of these supplements is probably minimal.
    Tsky45 likes this.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I really haven't taken any medications when it comes to maintaining sobriety, whether it is vitamin or supplement. I just try to go all natural such as eating fruits and vegetables and drinking more water to keep me hydrated all the time. They keep me healthy. I have already heard of St. John's Wart, and I have read before that is really effective.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware there are no actual vitamins or supplements to help during a recovery in terms of relieving the symptoms, but they can be helpful in terms of helping your body fully recover.

Addiction takes its toll in the mind and the body and taking vitamin supplements can help your body recover quicker than it would do naturally.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

All I take is a regular multivitamin - and I'm not even sure if that's more a placebo than anything. I honestly find that for me personally if I'm eating well and exercising that those are the biggest components to me maintaining sobriety. The only thing I will say about St. Joh's Wort is that I've read it can have interactions with other drugs so I would recommend anyone who is considering it to check with their physician.
  5. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

I use St John Worts regularly but you are completely right, it can have a bad reaction with other drugs and can be particularly dangerous for an expectant mother, medical advice should always be sought out before you start taking it.
    I use 'simplysupplements' multivitamins, they contain 100% of the RDA of vitamins A,B,C,D and E and also take copper and magnesium supplements. I began suffering a little with stiff joints (particularly knees and ankles) after I reached 40 years of age and these supplements combined helped enormously. The St Johns Wort helped me cut down on my ridiculous caffeine intake and soon became a much looked-forward to part of my day.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The B vitamin complex can be quite useful in recovery. Patients are often given thiamine and folic acid in detox as they can help to reduce withdrawal complications. B vitamins are also essential for a healthy nervous system.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

That is good to know. In general I think Vitamin B vitamins can be useful and helpful to those who wish properly maintain their energy. I know some of the holistic rehabs offer vitamin therapies, so I am sure they have a certain regime they follow with the vitamins and supplements they recommend to patients. As long as vitamins are in the proper dosages they can be helpful I think,
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not aware of any supplement or vitamins for recovery. If ever that is possibe; it is a good news and will help a lot of into the recocery.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think multi vitamins are great. When you take something like vitamin code for men or women, it makes you feel really energized and positive. I would only get the organic kind tho. Proper nutrition is supposed to negate drug addiction so taking a multi vitamin would make since. These are the kinds of vitamins I would recommend.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

@serenity I agree that vitamins can be a solution to addiction. If proper nutrition can negate drug addiction the vitamins could really help. I think this is a easy way to really get healthy. Thanks for the link. I still would only use organic vitamins tho there really the best.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@Tsky45, Not only is it easy, it's cheaper too than taking synthetic medicines. I hope the medical field will come up with something natural for the treatment of other addictions.
  13. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I also don't know of any vitamins that are specifically made for recovering addicts. However, I think it would be wise to drink the usual vitamins like Vitamin C or any multivitamins. These would help in aiding the person to full recovery as he or she would need a lot of help so that the physical body can recover as well as his mind. Of course nothing beats eating fresh fruits and vegetables on a daily basis. I'm a firm believer that eating healthy and naturally is one of the ways to combat diseases of the body and of the mind. So yes, stock up on some vitamins but stock up more on fruits and veggies!