An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Vivitrol?

Discussion in 'Opiate Withdrawal Treatment' started by KNH, Oct 31, 2014.

1. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

Has anyone heard of this or taken it? I know it is an injection addicts get periodically to help them with their opiate and/or alcohol addiction, but has anyone tried it?
  2. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I had a friend who got these injections. He said he was very happy with the outcome. But he hated the side effects which included serious constipation and body aches. And the shots barely hurt if done right.
  3. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

There are many side effects like nausea, headaches, aches and pains, insomnia and tooth ache. If there is a shortness of breathe, wheezing or a cough then they need to go to a doctor immediately. I am not sure how long it takes but it does help.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Here's some info on Vivitrol (Revia).
    Both contain a drug called Naltrexone that blocks the effects of depressants like alcohol, heroin, pain killers, etc. My doctor did not consider me a candidate for this medication (one of the biggest risks is the likelihood of addicts trying to use enough drugs to override the block - which can result in overdose/coma/death). It's different than a drug like Antabuse - which is commonly prescribed to alcoholics and makes them physically ill if they drink while on it.
  5. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

The aches and pains sound bad - yikes!

Thanks for all of the input and information everyone!!
    Jen S. likes this.