An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Volunteering

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Nikkishea21, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

I found that back when I was recovering from marijuana addiction, there were ties when I got the urge and it would be so strong I got to the phone and was on the brink of dialing to get a hook up. I live very close to an infirmary and I just decided to go down there one day and ask the matron if I could help out. She said yes and I started going there on weekends to comb the hair of patients and read to them, and I find that this is a rewarding experience as I love combing hair and I get to do it. The stories from some of them are so hilarious, I really enjoy going there.

Not many persons knew of my addiction that I had and I am happy for that because I am somewhat ashamed to have been in that position when I remember it. This helps me to some extent to move beyond what was and go toward what will be.
    Winterybella and RingoBerry like this.
  2. orangesunset

orangesunset Active Contributor

Volunteering is a great idea, it gets you out of the house and gives you an excuse to talk to other people. I used to help out at the local food bank distributing food. It also helps remind me how fortunate I am.
    RingoBerry likes this.
  3. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

Volunteering exposed me to the realities of life. On a day to day basis, I was able to see my identity before my very eyes. There was a man who contained mesmirizing abilities on the basketball court, however his addiction lead him to be homeless. Many in the community recognized his greatness from high school and believed he would go pro. Now he lives in a obscure past of his prior accolades. Seeing this person, while volunteering for the homeless, touched my heart deeply. It was time to live a life of regret or live a life of present accomplishments. From that point, I worked dubiously to create a life worth living.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Idle hands are the devil's workshop.

True that. When combating an addiction, the last thing you want is to have time when you have nothing to do. You'll get bored. Your mind will wander back to drugs. It might be pretty hard to fight cravings at such times. Volunteering can keep one busy and get them to stay off drugs so it definitely is a great way to stay clean.
  5. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Volunteering is always a great idea, like most of the posters have put it helps you focus on something either than yourself and your issues. When you do something else for somebody you forget about your problems and sometimes you even begin to realize how petty some of your own issues are in comparison.
    I would recommend volunteer work for anyone in recovery just as a way of giving a little something back and going back into society with a purpose.
  6. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I understand how you feel a little embarrassed about your past but in all honesty, I think it is quite admirable that you managed to turn away from what could have destroyed you. People should see that it is possible to be happy and enjoying your time as you are right now. To have that kind of hope is precious. I really am happy for you and keep up the great work.
  7. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I think it is a great idea to volunteer. Really keeps you busy and if everyone who was bored or at a loss decided to direct their focus towards helping others, the world would probably be a much better face!

Also, I don't think you should be ashamed of your past. You are who you choose to be, and the actions you decide to take in the presents mean much more than those you did in the past. Plus, quitting an addiction is a show of true strength of charater! Good on you.
  8. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

That's good for you to find an outlet. Helping others is always a way to get your mind off of your problems. It's all about mind over matter, and using your free time to attract positive energy is a sure way to beat an addiction.
  9. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

That is a positive in your life and any positive is good toward a life of health and sobriety. All positives and no negatives.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think volunteering is one of the noblest and most rewarding deed you could have ever done in your life. It's a nice feeling being able to help out other people.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Volunteering is a way to give back to your community. It makes you feel good about yourself, and any positive is a good positive towards a clean living.
  12. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Absolutely agreed. I tend to self-isolate, and volunteering has been a good way for me to get me out of my own head. It did take me quite a while to open up to others there, and I’m still pretty quiet most of the time. But when I finally started getting to know the others around me, it was an excellent reminder that I’m not the only one with problems, and sometimes we can all help each other out just by listening. Plus I know I’ve done my good deeds for the day, which is always so rewarding.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Rewarding is really one of the most perfect terms for this act because I think helping people is very therapeutic for us as humans since there is always going to be that innate need to be of service to someone. I think this takes care of a lot of problems but yes it is most helpful with recovering from addiction since it allows you to step outside of yourself routinely.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

You are hitting 2 birds with 1 stone by volunteering, so keep it up! Not only do you get to help other people and make worthwhile use of your time, it also helps you to not think about getting your dose of weed. I hope the rest of the people in here emulate that.
  15. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Nikki did a fine thing. I hope one day to be able to offer my services in a more consistent and meaningful way. I think volunteering is good for you and the people whose lives you affect. It's a win-win situation.