An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Wake up call

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by reubhole, Feb 23, 2015.

1. reubhole

reubhole Member

I've was heavy drinker for the last 10 years. It was very unusual for me to go a day without drinking. I work as a chef, so drinking after work kind of comes with the territory. I would be hungover most days, but by the time I would have to work again (nightshift) I would be fine to work. I was also smoking weed every day. One night I was just sitting watching TV when I felt out of breath and dizzy. I couldn't sleep that night and it felt like my heart was beating out of my chest.
    I went to the doctor the next morning. He said it was probably a panic or anxiety attack, although I'd never experienced them before. He ran all the usual tests just to rule out a heart attack.
    Turns out I had high blood pressure. My readings were consistently high over the next three weeks, so he recommended medication.
    I did some thinking and decided I didn't want to be taking pills for the rest of my life, I asked him if there was anything I could do to lower it naturally. No big surprise here, quit smoking and drinking.
    At first I thought there was no way I would ever give up alcohol. Weed maybe, but alcohol was too much a part of my life, especially socially.
    But I'm going to try it, week one is down, I feel bored as hell and still can't sleep. Hopefully week 2 is easier!
  2. JohnBrock

JohnBrock Active Contributor

Happy to hear you took the plunge, and that week one is already gone!

Many people experiencing withdrawal symptoms initially report having trouble sleeping, the best thing you can do is find something else to do while you're unable to sleep. Being sleep deprived or suffering from insomnia sucks, but at the very least it gives you some extra time!

Hope you're able to cull the symptoms and keep on the right path! I'm sure this community will serve you well whenever you need a bit of motivation!
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

You are on your way now to get your life back into order again, which can be a difficult task when you work in the hospitality industry where alcohol is freely available. I used to work in hotel management many years ago, and I got myself into a really deep hole, as I was constantly invited to drinks by hotel guests and couldn't say no... as it was bad for business. Both of our chefs were heavy drinkers, and one of them often "exploded" under the pressure and heat in the kitchen if he didn't get his liquor in time. Eventually, he got fired.
    Keep up the good work. Every day, every hour, you are slowly getting back to a state of inner and outer balance.
  4. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I am happy to hear that you have made that big decision to put your health first and quit drinking as well as smoking! It is never easy but with determination and focus you can do it! Some people stay stuck in denial for a very long time, until it is too late but you are doing yourself a solid.

All the best and keep hanging in there.
  5. reubhole

reubhole Member

Thanks guys, I'm sure this community will be a big help for me. Motivation is something I've always struggled with, hopefully I can get some good tips and strategies for dealing with the boredom and the temptations. Thanks again!
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Welcome to the forum Reubhole. Know that we are here to help you count those weeks and month and years. Sharing your story is a good place to get started and as you walk around the forum you are going to be able to find a lot of useful information and as offer advice.

I saw some information online about dealing with the boredom associated with sobriety, but so far nothing compares to the individual experiences I have read around the forum. I can think of the threads that speak to Music, Hobbies and so many other coping mechanisms. We won't allow you to get bored, so let's keep counting.:)
  7. oleskool

oleskool Member

Glad to hear the wake up call got your attention and you followed thru. Some people get the wake up call and do not pay attention. My ex-husband was an alcoholic and would not change his ways, he did die from his bad habit.
  8. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

The first few weeks are the hardest--it gets easier after that, minus the occasional urge, and you'll learn to manage those as well. I hope you the absolute best, and congratulations for taking a stand against your addiction and trying to fix up your situation. When you've been off of it all for a little while you're going to feel so much better.
  9. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

The first few weeks are always the hardest. I am glad that you are giving up your habits! It will also benefit you as a chef by not drinking so you can have more focus inside of the kitchen. Hope everything goes well!
  10. jon

jon Active Contributor

When I got behind on my bills and lost my car. I realized that drinking wasn't helping me out at all, but was just making my situation worse.
  11. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

Stay strong throughout your journey. I was never a heavy drinker but I do know the pain of addiction to pills and dealing with depression. For me, I try to keep my mental strength up and keep the thoughts positive. I don't have enough money to seek professional help and I'm insecure with group therapy. So, I rely on meditation and lots of activities to keep my mind busy. Also, writing has been a life saver for me. I get all of my frustrations out this way. I wish you nothing but the best on your journey to stay sober.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Great job! Sometimes our bodies give us a wake up call when we are not treating them as we should. I know a lady whose husband was a chef and he drank to the point in which they ended up getting a divorce. I wonder why the drinking is so popular among chefs?
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's not that easy to suddenly stop your dependency on alcohol and cigarettes, after years of clinging to them. But whatever your reasons were for resorting to alcohol and cigarettes, you cannot deny the fact that they have adverse effects on your health and your life in general. Your doctor is right. It's going to be a work in progress but that's the only way to be better in all aspects: to quit. Good luck and I'm sure you'll get through it with flying colors.
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I know it's really difficult to quit alcohol since it has already been part of your life, specially the first few weeks of abstaining from it would give you awful withdrawal symptoms. But don't worry, it's just normal. Once you get used to not consuming alcohol, I think you'll be fine by then. Good luck! Have a great life! :)
  15. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Sometimes we had to experience that wake up call in order to stop us from doing our bad habits in life. Our health is our wealth and before anything else you should take care of it. These negative substances that comes from drinking alcohol and smoking can only bring pleasures to you but in the end will ruin your health and life. That is why your wake up call is an early reminder that you should quit now and learn to love yourself. As they said early prevention is better than cure and you are lucky the doctor detected it at once to give you some good health advice and good luck on your journey to recovery.
  16. jon

jon Active Contributor

I think it will be worth it for you, just remember the reasons that you have for quitting. I know there will probably be times you are tempted, but you can stay strong, just remembering those reasons.