An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Waking up next to a stranger after a long night of partying...

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by amethyst, Jan 9, 2015.

1. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think it has happened to most of us at some stage. You get drunk or high, one thing leads to another, and the next thing is that you wake up in the morning in some foreign place with a person next to you that you hardly know...
    In most cases there has usually been some degree of sexual involvement, but the worst is when you can't remember a single thing about what happened.
    How do you or did you deal with such situations? Did you feel cheap, dirty? Or did you laugh it all off, telling yourself that you are a free and wild child?
  2. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

Luckily, waking up next to a complete stranger has never happened to me. I've heard stories and they always seem like it's the most terrifying thing ever. The most that has ever happened to me is that I somehow ended up at home, not really knowing how I got there. I had to piece the night together with the help of my friends, but not remembering the night was quite a scary experience
    amethyst likes this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It happened to someone I know. She was visiting her cousin. They go out and she gets conversing with some man. Cousin gets worried but in the morning the lady comes back looking disheveled. Claims that she was raped but all she'd get in response was yeah, you looked pretty cozy together in the bar last night.

Alcohol clouds people's judgment.
    amethyst and MrsJones like this.
  4. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

I had the same experience in college, and worse of all, I drove. The realization that I couldn´t remember driving home is basically what scared me enough to never get drunk again. I still drink very rarely and don´t think I was an alcoholic, even at my worst, but I did have enough nights were I barely remembered anything that I definitely had a binge problem.
    amethyst likes this.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

it's has happened to me once before but thankfully only the part about not remembering Anyang the previous night as I seem to have been still rigid enough to go home alone even when intoxicated. It felt really confusing waking up the next day from that experience so I pretty much just never did it again because I didn't like the feeling of not knowing what happened.
    amethyst likes this.
  6. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I used to hate it when my husband would wake up from a drunken sleep and look at me like I was a stranger or I would walk in while he was sleeping and he would suddenly jump up out of a drunken sleep with that same look. Boy I'm glad those days have passed.
    amethyst and Rainman like this.
  7. amethyst

Alcohol takes away your inhibitions and makes you do things that you wouldn't dare under sober circumstances. How can a woman ever prove that she was raped when she was seen having a "good time" with the accused person the night before? But what I consider the worst in all this, is the possibility of sexually transmitted diseases, even HIV and Aids.
  8. amethyst

It's interesting how, despite of being heavily intoxicated, there is still a part in us that protects us from being harmed in a major way. It's surprising how often I have been saved from some major accident or tragedy, and I know of many others who were spared as well. I am very grateful to this protective force, whatever you want to call it. I know of cases where things went terribly wrong, and lives were lost, or circumstances changed forever for those people.
    MrsJones likes this.
  9. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Indeed there are guardian angels over us all. As many times as my husband was 'out there' and I worried about him he would always call and my mind would be at ease. I'd be fuming mad but the worrying would be gone.
  10. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I've never woken up next to a complete stranger. Even when I get very drunk I never get blackout drunk where I forget everything. I don't think people should feel cheap or dirty about it though. Sex is a natural thing, I just hope they had the presence of mind to use protection!
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I've had that happened a few times. To be honest it was a bit scary. When you wake up some might think its cool cause you got a girl with you, but you don't know if she is married and or where you are. So it is really scary. You put on your clothes and kind of drift out the door quietly and not to make anyone up and disturb the neighbors. It's really freaky.
  12. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

As long as you're adamant about the use of protection even while intoxicated, then I don't see the issue really. I mean, you don't remember it, you're not in any pain, your life hasn't changed at all because of it. The only thing I would worry about is what that situation says about your alcohol use.
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Nope, not really happened to me, but it did happen to my best friend. I remember he used to go to those shady late night bars, in which he'd drink until completely wasted, then startle some fights. Most of them ended up "well", but one time he simply woke up in front of a complete stranger, at 5 AM in the street, without his wallet, keys, driver license, ID card. His first reaction: "Meh, I had worse.". I really can't understand how he's able to have such a mellow life, haha.
  14. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Oh my, I'm sorry to hear this. This has not happened to me. I make sure I'm only around people I trust whenever I drink.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Its not happened to me personally, but I do know quite a few people that it has.

I think it's all too easy to get caught up in the moment, that's especially the case where alcohol is involved.
  16. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

It happened to me and it was one of the most confusing, unsettling experiences ever. I was blacked-out, but I could discern bits and pieces of what was happening. And not being capable of doing anything about it was just horrifying. Physically I ended up being okay but I did feel cheap and dirty for a long time. I still don’t like talking about it IRL, to be honest.
  17. henry

henry Community Champion

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. But, what I've always found strange about these situations is, that usually the person lying next to you always remembers your name, how she met you, and how we got into that situation. I'm always the one who doesn't remember a thing. I'always found it cool when the girls were pretty, but on a couple of occasions, the shock lasted for weeks, even more if I made the mistake of giving her my number.
  18. gracer

gracer Community Champion

It never happened to me because I also never experienced any blackouts during my drunken moments in the past. I feel bad that you had to experience such nightmare but the good thing is that nothing worst happened and you were able to learn from it. You shouldn't feel ashamed or dirty because the actions you did during that night were not your voluntary thing, they were actions involuntarily brought upon by alcohol.
  19. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I've had that happened to me twice. I would wake up in the morning and I heard someone moving around in the bathroom. I didn't know who it was. I just kept on stareing at the door wondering who or what was going to come out. Sure enough someone did emerge from the bathroom and it was a naked beautiful girl. Thank god. I would of been grossed out if it was a dude.
  20. Domen

Domen Active Contributor

Wild child all the way! I've done it a couple of times but have lately simmered down. One time I woke up at the middle of the night and I thought I was at my own house so I get up to go to bathroom to pee. I walked in what I thought it was my bathroom to my friend having casual sex. I actually thought it was my parents, (I wouldn't really want to go into detail about that) so I was like : "meh" but after like 30 seconds when I couldn't find my bathroom I realized that I'm not in my house I started to trip out. I didn't knew what to do so I went back on the couch and left first thing in the morning wondering what happened last night. :D