New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Want to help alcoholic mother

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by m_s_741, Nov 18, 2017.

1. m_s_741

m_s_741 Member

My mother is an alcoholic and ever since I can remember she's been this way but everyone tells me that at one time, she was an amazing woman. Everyone tells me she was strong and beautiful and so much fun to be around but now she's just so out of her life. She doesn't care about anything and she's just completely given up on life but I want the woman back who everyone else used to know. I want to see her healthy and happy but I don't know how to help her.
  2. @m_s_741. I am sorry. Best way to help your mother get sober is by you going to some Al-Anon meetings in your area. There, if you share your experience, you will get suggestions on how to deal with your situation. Just google Al-Anon in your area and make a few meetings. Wish you all the best.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@m_s_741... I'm sorry to hear about your mother's issues with alcohol. Addiction is a horrible disease and it can affect families in a big way. @LongIslandKris has given you some excellent advice. Al-Anon is a tremendous organization, and their meetings are incredibly helpful for family members. The support and comfort you find at those meetings is so therapeutic. I also recommend a book called Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change. It's the best book I know of for loved one's of someone battling an addiction.

I am sending lots of positive energy in the direction of you and your mom. Just remember: Addiction is a disease, not some kind of moral failing. Your mom isn't a bad person who needs to learn to be good; she's a sick person who needs to get well.

Love and light to you both.